PDA

View Full Version : Do I need new carriers to regear my diff's?

smityjt
04-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Couldn't find anything when searching for carriers but I apoligize if this has been covered before.

So I'm looking to have my axles regeared on my 99'. It still has the original gearing. It is an automatic with the chrysler 8.25 in the rear and what I'm assuming is the reverse dana 30 up front. Transfer case is the 242.

I was going by 4wheelparts.com's axle builder but I'm not sure if I need to get a new carriers if I go with 4.56 gearing.

Any help or suggestions or even pointing me in the right direction is appreciated!

Thanks

Mudderoy
04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Couldn't find anything when searching for carriers but I apoligize if this has been covered before.

So I'm looking to have my axles regeared on my 99'. It still has the original gearing. It is an automatic with the chrysler 8.25 in the rear and what I'm assuming is the reverse dana 30 up front. Transfer case is the 242.

I was going by 4wheelparts.com's axle builder but I'm not sure if I need to get a new carriers if I go with 4.56 gearing.

Any help or suggestions or even pointing me in the right direction is appreciated!

Thanks

No need to search first or apologize for asking a question here.

You should have a Dana 30 high pinion in your 99 and either a Chrysler 8.25 or Dana 35 in the rear. If you have ABS brakes it's a Dana 35 in the rear.

So just be sure what you have before ordering anything. The HP Dana 30 is a reverse cut ring and pinion. For a ratio about 3.73(?) you'll need a different carrier. When I upgraded my Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 to 4.56 gears I bought the gears, the master rebuild kits for each diff and a 3.73 and up differential carrier. The only thing that wasn't covered was the C 8.25 axle bearings (the ones near the drums). I think they were about $30 and just made sense to replace while everything was apart. You do NOT need a different carrier for the Chrysler 8.25.

Also there is a special tool (that can be made if you have a welder) to adjust the side to side of the carrier on the C 8.25. If you're having a professional install your gears they should have this tool already.

You didn't ask but I'll add. 4.56 gears are good for 35" tires, but on 33" tires you'll be hitting about 3k rpms on the highway at 80 mph with an automatic. 4.10 would be better for 33" tires.

Personally I love the 4.56 gears. :D

smityjt
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply mudder. No ABS on my Jeep and I'm sure that its a 8.25 in the rear. I am running 33's right now but I might end up going a little larger in the future. Most of my driving is around town and limited to around 55mph. I do some towing too so little more low grunt should be benificial. On the occassions that we do take the jeep on high way we usually stay around 70mph so this is kind of why I am thinking the 4.56 is the better choice for us.

So just to re-iterate, I will need a replacement carrier for the dana 30 with 4.56 that takes 3.73 and up gears as well as the master install kits.

Thanks for the help :)

Mudderoy
04-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply mudder. No ABS on my Jeep and I'm sure that its a 8.25 in the rear. I am running 33's right now but I might end up going a little larger in the future. Most of my driving is around town and limited to around 55mph. I do some towing too so little more low grunt should be benificial. On the occassions that we do take the jeep on high way we usually stay around 70mph so this is kind of why I am thinking the 4.56 is the better choice for us.

So just to re-iterate, I will need a replacement carrier for the dana 30 with 4.56 that takes 3.73 and up gears as well as the master install kits.

Thanks for the help :)

3.73 is what I remember, but double check it. If you have 3.55/3.07 in there now you will need another Dana 30 carrier.

Well I don't think the master kits are mandatory but that's what I did and it had everything needed with the exceptions I mentioned.

4.3LXJ
04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
It is 3.73 and numerically higher requires a new carrier on the D30. 4.56 would be good for around town and towing. Tony's Jeep is required to file a flight plan for his commute. :D

smityjt
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on who has the best prices on ring and pinions? I see that 4wheelparts is having a sale on the G2 stuff.

4.3LXJ
04-20-2012, 06:46 PM
You could also check Jeepin Outfitters, a vendor on this forum. Also Randy's Ring and Pinion. Check your geography, shipping might make a large difference.

bluedragon436
04-20-2012, 07:41 PM
I've been looking at East Coast Gear Supply (http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-61392-gears-install-kits-carriers-spider-gears-jeep.html) for my carrier and gearing upgrade...

xjrev10
04-22-2012, 12:36 PM
4.56 gears are livable if you live in a area like I do and most of the roads are limited to 55mph.

I had them in a old trail rig. 4.56 gears with 33s. Power seemed stock. Never put it up against a stock xj on 27 inch tires but seat of the pants the power output felt the same. Jeep was not a DD and did ride on the trailer most of the time.