PDA

View Full Version : STAAR test is rediculous

Brasscatz
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Ok, my wife is subbing for a 4th grade class today and she sends me a math problem on the simulated STAAR Test today... See if you can figure it out.

Group 1: GNLZF

Group 2: AMDIX

Which letter belongs in group 1? B,E,V,S?

4th grade, people.... 4th grade. WOW

4.3LXJ
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I hate those kinds of questions. On my graduate entrance exams, I scored a 48% on those type of logic questions. But in my field I was at 96%.

Brasscatz
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Same here... I graduated with a 3.7 GPA, Texas Sholar Award, National Honor Society, and I STILL had to be given the answer to this one.

I'd like to meet the 4th grader that gets this one correct.

Carves
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
a math problem ... :confused:

ohhh you americans ... :crazy:

Down here that would be a spelling test .... :smiley-laughing021:

Brasscatz
04-19-2012, 08:42 PM
a math problem ... :confused:

ohhh you americans ... :crazy:

Down here that would be a spelling test .... :smiley-laughing021:

HA!!! That's funny! I'm still waiting to see if anybody can come up with the answer, and why!!!

Firemanray
04-19-2012, 08:54 PM
That's easy, the answer is "V". I have laying on my desk in front of me a very complicated looking sheet of paper that my 15 y/o son brought to me after I gave him the problem to solve. The answer is "V", I'll just take his word for it!!:D

Brasscatz
04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
That's easy, the answer is "V". I have laying on my desk in front of me a very complicated looking sheet of paper that my 15 y/o son brought to me after I gave him the problem to solve. The answer is "V", I'll just take his word for it!!:D

It's a good guess, but nope! I feel like we're starting a new TV show.... "Are You Smarter Than a 4th Grader"!!! I sure as heck don't feel like I am after this problem! :smiley-whacky119:

4.3LXJ
04-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Don't mess with the fourth graders :D

bigjim350
04-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Atleast give me a hint and tell me what kind of math it is.

4.3LXJ
04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Atleast give me a hint and tell me what kind of math it is.

It is not really math per se, it is recognizing a pattern, possibly assigning numbers to the letters and then seeing which number does not fit the pattern displayed in the first set. Or after assigning a number set, developing an equation to explain the pattern. I hate that stuff.

Brasscatz
04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
It is not really math per se, it is recognizing a pattern, possibly assigning numbers to the letters and then seeing which number does not fit the pattern displayed in the first set. Or after assigning a number set, developing an equation to explain the pattern. I hate that stuff.

That's exactly where my mind went too. I went so far as to type out the alphabet twice, number them, highlight letters, try adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing to find a pattern... even a visual pattern as to where the letters were in the alphabet.

The hint is not a pattern per se... think of them not as letters, but each letter more as individual pictures.

4.3LXJ
04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
OK, now we are into art, my worst subject right after music

Brasscatz
04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
LOL!!! Think more Geometry... not art. I should've said shapes, not pictures!

4.3LXJ
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I like geometry, I use it all the time when fabricating. But this is still an artsy fartsy situation.

EekGirl96
04-20-2012, 11:04 AM
are you replacing a letter or adding a letter?

xj4life2
04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
ok i'll play .... E
I'll reveil my reasoning only if correct , cus if not it really dont matter anyway lol lol

Brasscatz
04-20-2012, 11:14 AM
It is a head scratcher, I admit

Brasscatz
04-20-2012, 11:15 AM
are you replacing a letter or adding a letter?

Adding one of those letters to Group 1

ok i'll play .... E
I'll reveil my reasoning only if correct , cus if not it really dont matter anyway lol lol

Nope, good guess though

EekGirl96
04-20-2012, 11:24 AM
ok that narrowed it down,..is it "S"

Brasscatz
04-20-2012, 11:30 AM
ok that narrowed it down,..is it "S"

S is correct!!!! Now, why?

EekGirl96
04-20-2012, 11:37 AM
my logic is probably way wrong but makes sense to me...I broke it all down by numbers "G"=7, etc then I broke it down even further since "G" is 7 and "N" is 14, whats 7-14...7 and i did that all down the line until I got "7, 2, 14, 20" I wouldnt think the numbers would repeat so since there is already a 2 and a 5 that left me with the 19

...idk im probably wrong

Brasscatz
04-20-2012, 11:40 AM
That's an intersting way of thinking about it!

Alrighty, Here's the solution... All letters in Group 2 have a line of symetry. A vertically, M vertically, D Horizontally, I vertically and Horizontally, X both as well.

Group 1 doesn't have ANY line of symetry. So out of the new letters, S is the only one without any lines of symetry.

Now, tell me how in the H E double hockey stick are 4th graders supposed to figure that out?

xjrev10
04-20-2012, 11:47 AM
What's a line of symmetry? LOL

EekGirl96
04-20-2012, 11:49 AM
line of symmetry is basically if you can fold the line(vertically or horizontally) down the center and both sides are equal and are a "mirror image"

EekGirl96
04-20-2012, 11:53 AM

Alrighty, Here's the solution... All letters in Group 2 have a line of symetry. A vertically, M vertically, D Horizontally, I vertically and Horizontally, X both as well.

Group 1 doesn't have ANY line of symetry. So out of the new letters, S is the only one without any lines of symetry.

Now, tell me how in the H E double hockey stick are 4th graders supposed to figure that out?

wow, thats an easier way then I thought of...Im a math and science major(mostly focusing on science) so im more of a numbers girl

4.3LXJ
04-20-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm with you Amber. It is in the numbers. But these head games are for people who inhabit parallel universes.

EekGirl96
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm with you Amber. It is in the numbers. But these head games are for people who inhabit parallel universes.

ha the people from "beyond". If theres number, I have it down...geometry and trig are my weakest math yet I can do calculus for days

KH96XJ
04-20-2012, 03:00 PM

There isn't without more information to guide them to working it out that way.

cantab27
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM

duh....took yall long enough........:poke:...:rotfl2:

Brasscatz
04-20-2012, 04:46 PM
There isn't without more information to guide them to working it out that way.

Exactly... My first question was "which number belongs there on WHAT BASIS????"

XJMJeep
04-21-2012, 01:07 AM
my gut says the answer is B, my head says WTF?

Brasscatz
04-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Exactly... My first question was "which number belongs there on WHAT BASIS????"

Letter... I meant letter. I was even more tired than I realized I suppose.

my gut says the answer is B, my head says WTF?

B was my guess too... after I did all that crap and put everything down on paper, did all the math.... I leaned towards B too. Standardized testing is just not the best way to go. That's one thing that Texas does that I don't agree with. Nobody gets taught properly because the teachers are forced to focus on preparing the students for this test, instead of teaching subject actual subject matter. Along with "No Child Left Behind", it just doesn't make much sense... I don't get how a student can get every single question wrong, but not make lower than a 70. It's like wiping before you poop... it don't make no sense!!!

4.3LXJ
04-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I didn't even bother to guess. Not playing those head games. I would rather just design the perfect Jeep suspension or something.