PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Inspection

Mudderoy
04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Friday I left early to go home so I could attend my wife's birthday party at her parents house. It was in the evening but since my drive is 1 hour home, we would have been about a hour late. It was okay, but I never take off...

On the way home, maybe 3 miles from work a DPS trooper pulled me over. Expired inspection sticker. I explained to him that I was having a problem with the CEL, and I didn't think it would pass inspection. That I, and a friend, were working on building a new engine.

Surprisingly (since I'm a CHL holder) he gave me the ticket anyway. He explained that the court would dismiss the ticket just show them that I got it inspected. :o| I don't guess he was listening.

The problem is a P0301, Cylinder 1 misfire.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vlLNktVPhNk/T5BQRbcvmnI/AAAAAAAACCY/kTzByt0l6ew/s576/SC20120419-123054.png

If I reset the CEL it will stay off for a bit, hell sometimes it even goes off by itself. Matt thinks I have a lifter that is collapsing. It runs smoothing while driving, the miss is bad, worse, or non-existent at idle. It just depends.

Anyway I decided to clear the CEL and try to get it inspected.

I cleared it about 15 miles away from the inspection station. When I was within about 5 miles I checked to see if it had passed all it's tests...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yJ9nfLsyuuc/T5BQJdbDijI/AAAAAAAACCI/jRZoMJa71yM/s576/SC20120419-122729.png

All but one.

I got it inspected, as long as it sat idling I was worried the CEL would come on, it didn't. Well not until I was about 1/2 mile from the house. :D Now remember this is an OBDII Jeep. It reports all the information they need to see if it is meeting the guidelines for clean air, etc... and it was. So in my situation the random cylinder 1 misfire wasn't causing an issue for the clean air, only me being able to drive it to and from work. I am VERY lucky that I am currently in a position to be able to resolve this issue with a new freshly build 4.0 (4.1 actually) but if I wasn't doing this would have given me an additional year to resolve the issue. Believe me I don't like the miss and I want it fixed more than the State of Texas, or the EPA. ;o)

I checked the tests again...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yJ9nfLsyuuc/T5BQJdbDijI/AAAAAAAACCI/jRZoMJa71yM/s576/SC20120419-122729.png

Still wasn't done with that O2 Sensor Heater test.

So if you have a situation where you are concerned you cannot get your Jeep inspected, but you know that the CEL will stay off for a little while, reset it and get it inspected. Worse case is they'll take your money and you won't get a sticker.

Brasscatz
04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Very true. I believe you can have 1 or 2 "not ready" codes on a '98 for the OBDII and still pass. Can't quote me on that though.

msmoorenburg
04-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Very true. I believe you can have 1 or 2 "not ready" codes on a '98 for the OBDII and still pass. Can't quote me on that though.

well I've heard 00 on down 2 can be not ready 01 up can only have 1

bigjim350
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
You can have 4 or less "not ready" Just depends on which ones they are

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

4.3LXJ
04-19-2012, 11:07 PM
You guys have it easy. Here everything has to be 100%

cantab27
04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
cut ya cat off.....all will be solved..............

4.3LXJ
04-19-2012, 11:12 PM
The screech loudly when you do ...