PDA

View Full Version : Bad engine noises ?

JEEPSTER4EVER
04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I got another XJ, 4 now, I'm rebuilding my 2000 freedom blown head gaskit, so til I'm done I'm driveing my 1994 XJ, it's got 300332 miles on it NOW, I drive for a pizza company, the engine is beeing worked on lil at a time til I can get my other one finished, anyways about 2 times I've put about nomore than a quart xtra (by accident) and the engine has spit out the xrta through the cap on top, about 2-3 wks now it's been makeing an sound, (my 89 XJ (Ellenoir)) has been makeing the same sound now just a lot louder than my 94. I don't know how to xplain it, my boss says it's the (rod bearings) someone else says it might be the push rods, I know what lifters sound like when they go out and this is a whole different sound plus it's comin from under the engine in the oil pan area, which sounds like the main bearings, too. it sounds like a slightly harder tap but only inside the oil tapping instead of outside. I can't tear it down til I get my other jeep running first, but/and the sound is getting worse. Everything is stock as far as I know, the exaust manifold all the way down to the tail pipe end is shot, so cold air has had plenty of chances during the winter time to get into the engine after driveing it too. If that helps any,
Any ideas from anyone really would be helpful, and appreciated very much.
Thank you,

Mudderoy
04-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I got another XJ, 4 now, I'm rebuilding my 2000 freedom blown head gaskit, so til I'm done I'm driveing my 1994 XJ, it's got 300332 miles on it NOW, I drive for a pizza company, the engine is beeing worked on lil at a time til I can get my other one finished, anyways about 2 times I've put about nomore than a quart xtra (by accident) and the engine has spit out the xrta through the cap on top, about 2-3 wks now it's been makeing an sound, (my 89 XJ (Ellenoir)) has been makeing the same sound now just a lot louder than my 94. I don't know how to xplain it, my boss says it's the (rod bearings) someone else says it might be the push rods, I know what lifters sound like when they go out and this is a whole different sound plus it's comin from under the engine in the oil pan area, which sounds like the main bearings, too. it sounds like a slightly harder tap but only inside the oil tapping instead of outside. I can't tear it down til I get my other jeep running first, but/and the sound is getting worse. Everything is stock as far as I know, the exaust manifold all the way down to the tail pipe end is shot, so cold air has had plenty of chances during the winter time to get into the engine after driveing it too. If that helps any,
Any ideas from anyone really would be helpful, and appreciated very much.
Thank you,

It could be as simple as loose flex plate bolts. If there is a way you can take a video and upload it to youtube, you can embed it in your post and we should be able to give you a better idea.

I bet some of the more experienced members will be able to help even without the video.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes, the first thing to check is the flex plate bolts. They can get loose and it is a common problem that can sound like a rod bearing since the sound is near the bottom and directly connected to the crank shaft. While you are dealing with that head gasket, make sure your vent fittings in the valve cover are completely clear of obstructions. The spitting out of oil can be an indication that your crank case is not vented properly.