PDA

View Full Version : Front Axle U-Joint question

Brasscatz
04-15-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking about attempting to replace my axle u-joints before I run out of weekend to do it. I've never done u-joints on front axles before, only on driveshafts and that was when I worked at a shop and had access to equipment. I don't have a vise or really other proper "u-joint" tools, so does anybody have any suggestions? I do have several types of pulley pullers, would they work?

Also.... do I need to drain my front diff? I've never pulled out axle shafts, so I don't know the proper procedure.

Thanks for the suggestions!

prcjeep
04-15-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking about attempting to replace my axle u-joints before I run out of weekend to do it. I've never done u-joints on front axles before, only on driveshafts and that was when I worked at a shop and had access to equipment. I don't have a vise or really other proper "u-joint" tools, so does anybody have any suggestions? I do have several types of pulley pullers, would they work?

Also.... do I need to drain my front diff? I've never pulled out axle shafts, so I don't know the proper procedure.

If you have changed the front u-joint on the rear drice shaft before then I think the procedure is close to the same since all caps are closed in... I changed that driveshaft u-joint before with basic crap I had in the back of my jeep. It was a PITA but I got it done in a parking lot in about an hour and a half.
I may be incorrect about the simalarity of these u-joints. Hopefully someone can share more about what exactly the procedure is front the axle u-joints.
This next weekend I'll be out of town but I may have time during the week or next weekend if you need help.

Brasscatz
04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks Patrick, I'm actually going to take a hack at it here in the next hour or so. The vibes are getting pretty bad and I'd hate to cause some real damage by driving it more this week.

If you aren't busy... you live fairly close to me! LOL!!

Brasscatz
04-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Wait.... you're out of town this weekend right now, or next weekend?

XJMJeep
04-15-2012, 03:25 PM

When I did mine for the 1st time I followed this web site:

http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-repairs/u-joint-replacement

It's a simple job really, and good alone time with you & the Jeep!

Good Luck!

Brasscatz
04-15-2012, 03:37 PM
When I did mine for the 1st time I followed this web site:

http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-repairs/u-joint-replacement

It's a simple job really, and good alone time with you & the Jeep!

Good Luck!

Beautiful! Thanks Mike!!!

Brasscatz
04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
got 'er done! Thanks again Mike!!! Still have vibes though... http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9828

bigjim350
04-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Well we might not have had the shop open to help you do the joints. But If you wait till next weekend and bring it out there we WILL find out where the vibes are coming from