PDA

View Full Version : LCA Skids

KH96XJ
04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Those of you that have them, do you have a vendor you like best for them?

Those that made your own, what's a good thickness to use on the stock D30 tabs?

I've got a quote from a local shop, but they are asking $100 for parts and labor. I'm all for supporting vendors when able, but that seems way to high to just weld on some plates for 30 mins, my guess based on limited welding experience, of work. I recall a shop that closed last year that would do it for $30 parts and labor as a special for a couple months. Wish I had had them do it, but that would have been an hour drive each way. I have seen some plates for as little as $30 shipped that I could probably do myself but have some ugly welds. Don't know how well they would handle the beating though. Might even be able to scrounge up some leftover plate out at my parents' place for free.

4.3LXJ
04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
3/16" would be plenty strong. All you need is some small plates. Put a bend in them if you want to be fancy, or just use two pieces for each

bigjim350
04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
$100 installed doesnt sound all that bad to me.

XJ Wheeler
04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Interested! I plan on doing these soon.

AZDoug
04-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Those of you that have them, do you have a vendor you like best for them?

Those that made your own, what's a good thickness to use on the stock D30 tabs?

I've got a quote from a local shop, but they are asking $100 for parts and labor. I'm all for supporting vendors when able, but that seems way to high to just weld on some plates for 30 mins, my guess based on limited welding experience, of work. I recall a shop that closed last year that would do it for $30 parts and labor as a special for a couple months. Wish I had had them do it, but that would have been an hour drive each way. I have seen some plates for as little as $30 shipped that I could probably do myself but have some ugly welds. Don't know how well they would handle the beating though. Might even be able to scrounge up some leftover plate out at my parents' place for free.

Wonder why they closed??

KH96XJ
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Wonder why they closed??

I don't know. They seemed to be fairly busy according to the forums. They weren't the only shop to close down last year. Two others bit the dust and I know one of them was pretty busy. I had my gears redone at one of them. Wasn't real happy that I wasn't going to have the full warranty on their labor.

AZDoug
04-25-2012, 07:42 AM
That was suppose to be a little sarcasm. One shop charges a $100 and another shop $30 and the one that charges $30 closes. HMMMMMM. Maybe under charging and couldn't pay the bills and/or make a profit.

86-cheif
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Are you talking about the skids for the LCA mount?

Currie Mini skids...I love mine..I only payed 18 last year though.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=2374

And if possible get a piece of 1/8" and weld it on the sides as well. Then you will have a 1/4" LCA mount, - seen here.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lower-control-arm-mount-skids-w-oe-arms-989072/#post9064332