PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Questions

olds-cool
04-12-2012, 03:42 PM
My shocks are worn out and I'm looking for new ones. I'm sitting at 3" now but I'm planning on adding pucks & shackles onto my current lift to go up to 4.5-5" within the next year. Money is usually tight so I don't want to have to buy another set of shocks that soon. I'd do everything in one swoop but I'll need to get a SYE so that totally blows the budget I have to work with right now. What problems would I have running a set of shocks listed for a 4-6" lift on my current setup? Will they even fit? I'm not doing any rock crawling or anything, maybe just some mild woods wheeling for this summer while I button a few more things up.
Next, has anyone used a set of WJ shocks on an XJ? I think they're the same setup, eye to eye in rear and eye to stud up front. Are they longer? It's hard to find a company that shows the both the recommended lift size and the shock measurments in the description. I can get a pretty cheap deal on a set of 3" WJ shocks that can get me by for now, assuming they are the same length.

Sorry if this seems a little scatterbrained. I'm running on very little sleep at the moment :rolleye0018:

olds-cool
04-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Nobody has anything to offer? I got the green light to order shocks on Friday when I get paid.

msmoorenburg
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
call one of our vendors they should have great deals on shocks. I've only run RC so i'm not much help

4.3LXJ
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
My shocks are worn out and I'm looking for new ones. I'm sitting at 3" now but I'm planning on adding pucks & shackles onto my current lift to go up to 4.5-5" within the next year. Money is usually tight so I don't want to have to buy another set of shocks that soon. I'd do everything in one swoop but I'll need to get a SYE so that totally blows the budget I have to work with right now. What problems would I have running a set of shocks listed for a 4-6" lift on my current setup? Will they even fit? I'm not doing any rock crawling or anything, maybe just some mild woods wheeling for this summer while I button a few more things up.
Next, has anyone used a set of WJ shocks on an XJ? I think they're the same setup, eye to eye in rear and eye to stud up front. Are they longer? It's hard to find a company that shows the both the recommended lift size and the shock measurments in the description. I can get a pretty cheap deal on a set of 3" WJ shocks that can get me by for now, assuming they are the same length.

Sorry if this seems a little scatterbrained. I'm running on very little sleep at the moment :rolleye0018:

If you are buying shocks for the future, then get the ones for the 4.5" lift. But bear in mind that you will need to lower your bump stops so you will not bottom the new shocks out or you will ruin them.

nickxj94
04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I run 4 inch lift RC shocks they work good on my xj on a 3 inch lift,I am now. 4 inch in rear now

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2

Xtreme XJ
04-17-2012, 12:37 AM
You might take a look at O.M.E.
Myself & several others I know are very happy...

Curt

olds-cool
04-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I believe I found the answer to my questions this morning. According to the Rustys site, the WJ and XJ shocks are the same setup. They also list the compresses and extended lengths on their shocks as well as the recommended lift heights. Looks like I should have no problem running the 4.5 shocks. I don't plan on ordering their shocks but now I have the numbers I need to find them elsewhere.

xj4life2
04-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Just remember , you can hang from a shock all day , compress them fully once and you just made trash outta them !!!