PDA

View Full Version : Neutral start safety switch last detail.

?blue?sdriver
04-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Bought this 96, ?Blue?. And in about two weeks had problems starting it in park. Move the lever to neutral, and BAM started. SO. Came online to see if I could search out the cause. Took over a week, but nailed it down to the infamous Safety switch on the side of the tranny. SO. Diagnosed the switch, it passed the continuity test and back up light test. Still would not let ?Blue? Start in park tho. Only neutral. Took the switch off, opened it, and BLEAH! What a mess! Cleaned it alll up nice and pretty with Seafoam, and when I extracted the wiper arm, and looked at the two contact "bars" I noticed they were sitting a bit wonky. Pulled them both, and underneath them were two little tiny fat springs, both compressed and caked with more bleah.cleaned them both up well, along with the arm and copper bars, and put it back together to see how they rode on the springs. HORRIBLE. The springs are supposed to "Push" The contact bars against the opposite contacts, and it just wasnt happening. SO! Pulled the bars and springs, and.... Stretched the springs slightly. SLIGHTLY! So as not to totally disfigure them. Put it all back together again and VOILA! Nice solid contact! Smeared it up with Dielectric grease, reassembled/remounted/ aligned it, and now ?Blue? Starts normally. In all the posts I saw on maintenance of the NSSS, Never once did I see anyone mention checking them little tension springs on the wiper arm, So here it is. If you DO have problems with your NSSS, and do take it apart and clean it up, definently look at the springs behind the contact bars on that arm!

Mudderoy
04-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Bought this 96, ?Blue?. And in about two weeks had problems starting it in park. Move the lever to neutral, and BAM started. SO. Came online to see if I could search out the cause. Took over a week, but nailed it down to the infamous Safety switch on the side of the tranny. SO. Diagnosed the switch, it passed the continuity test and back up light test. Still would not let ?Blue? Start in park tho. Only neutral. Took the switch off, opened it, and BLEAH! What a mess! Cleaned it alll up nice and pretty with Seafoam, and when I extracted the wiper arm, and looked at the two contact "bars" I noticed they were sitting a bit wonky. Pulled them both, and underneath them were two little tiny fat springs, both compressed and caked with more bleah.cleaned them both up well, along with the arm and copper bars, and put it back together to see how they rode on the springs. HORRIBLE. The springs are supposed to "Push" The contact bars against the opposite contacts, and it just wasnt happening. SO! Pulled the bars and springs, and.... Stretched the springs slightly. SLIGHTLY! So as not to totally disfigure them. Put it all back together again and VOILA! Nice solid contact! Smeared it up with Dielectric grease, reassembled/remounted/ aligned it, and now ?Blue? Starts normally. In all the posts I saw on maintenance of the NSSS, Never once did I see anyone mention checking them little tension springs on the wiper arm, So here it is. If you DO have problems with your NSSS, and do take it apart and clean it up, definently look at the springs behind the contact bars on that arm!

Yep, mine acted up once. I think I even had a CEL for it! I only figured this out because I saw the CEL blink off while putting into park. I turned the engine off and vigorously moved the shifter lever back and forth through a dozen or so cycles. Never had another problem, and the CEL light went out. lol