PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Atlas and Klune TC

Marcelo73
04-07-2012, 06:29 AM
I have read about this TC. What I understand is that Klune es an add-on to your current TC and Atlas is a replacement. Is that correct?

What's the difference between an Atlas 2sp and a OEM tc or a Teraflex tc besides the offered ratio?

Does it worth to have an Atlas 4sp for mud or sand terrains or it will be underused?

4.3LXJ
04-07-2012, 09:58 AM
OEM uses a chain drive tcase with a low range consisting of a planetary sitting in front of the chain drive. The Atlas two speed is an older type of design with an all gear case except that there are no sliding gears like the Dana 18, 20 300 or the NP 203 or 205. That is about all the popular ones. Instead all gears turn and are engaged by a synchromesh slider. You can use the Atlas in front wheel drive only if you wish in low range only. The Klune V is an add on planetary that goes on the front that gives another speed low range. You can also do the same thing more cheaply with a 231 doubler. Here is a link here for that.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4194

I am currently running an Atlas 4 speed which is the best of both worlds.

Marcelo73
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
OEM uses a chain drive tcase with a low range consisting of a planetary sitting in front of the chain drive. The Atlas two speed is an older type of design with an all gear case except that there are no sliding gears like the Dana 18, 20 300 or the NP 203 or 205. That is about all the popular ones. Instead all gears turn and are engaged by a synchromesh slider. You can use the Atlas in front wheel drive only if you wish in low range only. The Klune V is an add on planetary that goes on the front that gives another speed low range. You can also do the same thing more cheaply with a 231 doubler. Here is a link here for that.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4194

I am currently running an Atlas 4 speed which is the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the explanation. The Atlas replace the current TC, right? And that lower ratios are useful in mud or sand or just are useful in rock crawling?

4.3LXJ
04-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Yes, the atlas replaces the current transfer case. One great thing about the atlas is strength. There isn't a stronger one on the market. But to the question of need. The 2.7 in your current transfer case is a good mudding ratio and good on trails, as is the 2.0 ratio in the older cases. The 3.8 is a bit low for mud, but good for rocks. The 10.38 ratio is really slow and only good in big rocks. I chose it because I wheel in it all and wanted to do well in each area. But unless you have very different types of wheeling all available to you, one ratio is sufficient.

Marcelo73
04-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes, the atlas replaces the current transfer case. One great thing about the atlas is strength. There isn't a stronger one on the market. But to the question of need. The 2.7 in your current transfer case is a good mudding ratio and good on trails, as is the 2.0 ratio in the older cases. The 3.8 is a bit low for mud, but good for rocks. The 10.38 ratio is really slow and only good in big rocks. I chose it because I wheel in it all and wanted to do well in each area. But unless you have very different types of wheeling all available to you, one ratio is sufficient.

Thanks Steve. That's what wanted to know. I don't do crawling, Maybe to climb steped hills but too expensive just for that. Still looks a pretty amazing piece of engineering.

4.3LXJ
04-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Expensive, yes. If you ever get around to doing it look into the Stak 3 speed. It fits well in the XJ and has a 2.72 and 5.44 low ratio

xjmarc
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Stay away from the Stak. I've know way too many folks that have had issues with them and customer service just plain sucks.

4.3LXJ
04-08-2012, 06:43 PM
What kind of issues?

xjmarc
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
They pop out of gear and the outputs are known to be weak and break. Mostly the popping out of gear though. Look over on Pirate and you'd be lucky to find a good review.

4.3LXJ
04-10-2012, 08:56 PM
OK, thanks. I was just curious. They look beefy.

Marcelo73
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I've never heard about Stak before. And Atlas when I have nothing else to add, maybe I'll consider to buy one :)

4.3LXJ
04-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Marcelo, the Atlas is a good transfer case, but expensive. The hardest part of putting one in an XJ is making the linkage sanitary. I managed it, but it took me some time. You need to be able to fabricate to make it work out clean. The linkage that comes with it is suited for a Jeep without a console.