PDA

View Full Version : Locker, in the rear? or in the front?

XJ4IV
04-04-2012, 12:13 AM
lol Sorry I had to b ut my question is which ,if you were only doing one,would be best to install a locker in?
I ran a lock right up front for three years and LOVED it, I always figured it was better to keep the front locked that way everything you come up against has TWO wheels pulling you over it rather than having two wheels push you into it.
so guys who like it in the rear... lets hear your stories of victory!
Good night!

bigjim350
04-04-2012, 12:27 AM
If I could only choose 1 if would be for the front. Most people argue with me about it though.

defibvt
04-04-2012, 01:04 AM
The front seems a logical choice but using a selectable locker would steering a whole lot easier. Especially in my XJ.

OrangeXJ
04-04-2012, 03:04 AM
I started out with the front first then the rear

denverd1
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Would you regear the rear to match the front? Might as well throw a locker in there while you're getting that done. unless I stick with stock 3.55 gears in my case.... My current theory is to save my pennies and do both at the same time. I finally found someone in Tyler who doesn't mind tackling rebuilding a diff for a reasonable price and getting a locker thrown in there while its torn apart.

Mudderoy
04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I think it depends on the type of wheeling you do and what the strongest axle is. In my case I don't wheel that much and with my NP242 transfer case and D30 front C8.25 rear, a rear locker would be my best choice.

To lock the front I would probably need to upgrade axle shafts (to be safe) or change the axle all together.

I mention the NP242 because while in full time 4x4 power is a 48/52 torque split.

4.3LXJ
04-04-2012, 10:13 AM
It depends mostly on whether or not you wheel on flat ground. If you are hill climbing a front locker is nice, but on steep hills next to useless because the majority of the traction is in the rear. Unless you want to go backwards up hill. I have been in situations where one or both front wheels are off the ground, again on steep hills. I know of a number of people that like front lockers in mud, but I still preferred them in the rear if I only have one.

Kenny811
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
I run an Aussie in the front of mine, with 32 swampers & stock axles I've never had a problem. My new build I did 4:56, Aussie in the front, Detroit in the rear. D44 in the rear and all stock axles, Im pretty sure it will be fine. If I bust on i'll upgrade then.

olds-cool
04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Based on what I've read, a combo of a limited slip on one axle and a locker on the other will get you dang near anywhere. It doesn't seem to matter which is which. Notice I said, what I've read, not what I've experienced since I don't have a locker yet. My plans are to pick up a limited slip rear, like an 8.8, and throw an auto-locker in the front 30. Most times I've had trouble getting over stuff it was because I was trying to push over a rock or log rather than pulling myself over it. I think 4.3LXJ summed it up pretty well.

cantab27
04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Based on what I've read, a combo of a limited slip on one axle and a locker on the other will get you dang near anywhere. It doesn't seem to matter which is which. Notice I said, what I've read, not what I've experienced since I don't have a locker yet. My plans are to pick up a limited slip rear, like an 8.8, and throw an auto-locker in the front 30. Most times I've had trouble getting over stuff it was because I was trying to push over a rock or log rather than pulling myself over it. I think 4.3LXJ summed it up pretty well.

tis my thinking as well....;)

denverd1
04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Since we're on the subject of lockers, axles and various gear combos, I'll throw out another idea I've been back and forth on.

My Dana 30 pinion is getting loose, hence why I've been "interviewing" shops to rebuild it. AND I've been shopping for the venerable Dana 44 front axle. I read (not sure where) that if you beef up the axles in the dana 30 and do a few other things to it, you would have a dependable axle without going to full width axles. Obviously, I would have to put a Dana 60 or 44 rear in at the same time. and redo gears in at least one of them so they match.

If I stuff a Dana 30 with chromoloy 30 spline shafts, maybe gusset the pumpkin and a few other places, would it be a worthwhile axle?? Or would I be happier taking the plunge on new axles and having that part of it done?
obviously, I'd do lockers too! Just don't want to go through it twice

Marcelo73
04-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't have lockers but as I use the XJ also in the city I'd put an auto locker in the front. I have a NP231 so in 4x2 the locker never'd be working.

My plan is to buy a OEM 8.25 that comes with trac lok. This and the front auto locker is good enough for me. The recovery strap will do the rest.

With enough money I'd put selectable lockers (ARB/OX) in both axles, just to put in my profile :-)

What I've read is that the D30 with alloy shaft can handle 35 tires with lockers, that depends if you have or not a heavy right foot.

4.3LXJ
04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Since we're on the subject of lockers, axles and various gear combos, I'll throw out another idea I've been back and forth on.

My Dana 30 pinion is getting loose, hence why I've been "interviewing" shops to rebuild it. AND I've been shopping for the venerable Dana 44 front axle. I read (not sure where) that if you beef up the axles in the dana 30 and do a few other things to it, you would have a dependable axle without going to full width axles. Obviously, I would have to put a Dana 60 or 44 rear in at the same time. and redo gears in at least one of them so they match.

If I stuff a Dana 30 with chromoloy 30 spline shafts, maybe gusset the pumpkin and a few other places, would it be a worthwhile axle?? Or would I be happier taking the plunge on new axles and having that part of it done?
obviously, I'd do lockers too! Just don't want to go through it twice

A rebuild will set you back a few bucks. Beefing up the 30 is worthwhile, but if you go with the 44 it will be cheaper in the long run. If you use a late wagoneer front D44 with the passenger side drop you will not need to rework the rear since you already have 29 spline shafts. But if you locate a front, get a matching rear and have it all. The advantage to the front waggy axle is that the knuckles are heavier, real spindles and hubs which are much stronger, and the heavier axles already in them. Aftermarket support for them is much more too if you decide to go high steer or regear.

xj4life2
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
It depends mostly on whether or not you wheel on flat ground. If you are hill climbing a front locker is nice, but on steep hills next to useless because the majority of the traction is in the rear. Unless you want to go backwards up hill. I have been in situations where one or both front wheels are off the ground, again on steep hills. I know of a number of people that like front lockers in mud, but I still preferred them in the rear if I only have one.

Zactly !!!!

4.3LXJ
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Great minds run in the same ditch Mark

XJ4IV
04-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I think what Im gonna do is weld the front differential since my jeep is gonna be about 80% offroad use and since it IS a locking hub then I can unlock it while in street use
those carriers are VERY abundant in my area so when I wanna switch up its a matter of hopping over to the JY to get a new carrier... and the good news is the dana 50 carrier is the same carrier no matter what ratio is installed just gotta press new bearings and be done again once I get a lunch box locker

Kenny811
04-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Lets look at the D30 front axle. Its in every cherokee ( maybe with exception in a few ) ever made, its more jeeps that any other front end and there still going strong. You can put the $$$ into a D30 and make it as strong as a D44 no problem. We all know guys that have D30 that have broke, that says alot about the 30.

Now lets hear the pros & con of the D30

denverd1
04-05-2012, 12:49 PM
lots of conflicting info out there, but it looks like the XJ and commanches had reverse cut D30s since '86, while wranglers didn't get them until '97 or so. Slightly stronger version.

denverd1
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
titanium axles:
http://www.dana-axles.com/Titanium-Axle-for-Dana-30-Front-Differential-P1.aspx

xj4life2
04-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Great minds run in the same ditch Mark

Zactly !!!!