PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Clutch or slave cylinder

da9r00d
04-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I changed my clutch on my 88 xj. I have a BA 10 transmission. I bought a clutch kit from sachs. I had the flywheel resurfaced. Everything went together no problem. I bleed the fluids. the clutch doesn't engage untill I'm almost off the pedal. Any one know what my issue might be..... Flywheel, clutch, slave... I installed a new master cylinder and slave when I installed the clutch.

4.3LXJ
04-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Wrong throughout bearing? Does the clutch slip when it shouldn't?

da9r00d
04-03-2012, 01:47 AM
no the grabs, but not until almost all the way off the pedal

4.3LXJ
04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
I hat to say this, but I think you might need to take it apart and do some measuring. Either you have a disk that is too thin for the pressure plate or the wrong pressure plate. Those symptoms are typical of a clutch out of adjustment, which you have none with a hydraulic slave, or a worn disk that is getting too thin

Mudderoy
04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I hat to say this, but I think you might need to take it apart and do some measuring. Either you have a disk that is too thin for the pressure plate or the wrong pressure plate. Those symptoms are typical of a clutch out of adjustment, which you have none with a hydraulic slave, or a worn disk that is getting too thin

Just to double check what I think you are saying. There is no pedal adjustment for the clutch?

4.3LXJ
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
No, the hydraulic slave is supposed to be self adjusting. Those symptoms appear just before the clutch fails completely. The reason I asked about slipping is that given his description, I don't think there is much pressure on the disk.

da9r00d
04-06-2012, 01:11 AM
i changed the clutch kit. the clutch was bad... i installed a Centerforce clutch, feels good and pedal feels normal, kinda light but the clutch engages normal.

my only concern is when i shift threw the gears they dont shift smooth... it got better when i bleeded the system. but how many time should i bleed it. ive done it 3 times. same feel. is there a better was to bleed or should i get a vacuum bleeder?

4.3LXJ
04-06-2012, 10:35 AM
When I bled mine before rolling it, I took the slave off and pointed the front down and then bled it. It worked a little better. Or you could jack up the rear enough that the back of the slave is higher than the front. Normally with the angle of the engine, the rear is lower and you cannot get all the air out of it.