PDA

View Full Version : Gearz

jeepin
04-02-2012, 03:35 AM
I have a question about my gears. Im running stock gears which I was told are 355. Is there any reason for me to change gears since I only wheel in the snow and sand? also I was told to just run a trac loc in the rear instead of a locker and run a locker in the front. Is this the correct was to do this?

bigjim350
04-02-2012, 04:12 AM
If your running 32's the stock gears should be fine, if your fine with the way they preform now. You can run an auto locker in the rear and be just fine as well as the front. But you dont "need" them. Although a auto locker can be a bit tricky in on road slick situations. Having a posi (trac loc) is a hell of an expense though, unless you know how to set up the gears yourself. Would be cheaper and easier to just go to the junkyard and find a 8.25 with a posi in it and swap it in. Or if you have the skills to weld on a couple perches, most 8.8's you find in a explorer will have 3.55's, a track loc, and disc brakes.

4.3LXJ
04-02-2012, 09:44 AM
A trac lock in the rear is better than nothing, But I would reverse that and put the locker in the rear. But Jim is right about the locker being squirley in the rear on packed snow. I drove mine about 3 weeks ago in snow and had to put it in 4WD for a little slush. If you were going to spend the money for enhanced traction for snow and sand exclusively I would recommend the Detroit Tru Track. The rear will achieve 70% lock up and the front 50% without giving you the problems of a locker.