PDA

View Full Version : To sway or not to sway

jeepin
04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I have a question about rear sway bars. sometimes I travel 300 miles to go four wheeling loaded down with camping equipment ect. If im putting on a 6.5 inch lift do I need and can I use the stock sway bar? also what are the advantages to the long arm lift?

bigjim350
04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I doubt you would feel any on road difference with out a rear sway bar. But you will have a lot more rear flex offroad without it. Most folks ditch the rear sway bar when lifting. The advantages of long arms is a much nicer on road ride and more flex offroad. Me personally I run 6.5" short arms with no sway bars front or rear. But for long drives I'd keep the front one just add sway bar disconnects

Sent from my VM670

Mudderoy
04-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I have a question about rear sway bars. sometimes I travel 300 miles to go four wheeling loaded down with camping equipment ect. If im putting on a 6.5 inch lift do I need and can I use the stock sway bar? also what are the advantages to the long arm lift?

My 1998 Classic did not come with a rear sway bar.

dagr8tim
04-01-2012, 08:03 PM
If you had, the factory lift or the tow package the sway bar was deleted in the rear, IIRC.

4.3LXJ
04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
The rear sway bar has too short of a travel to accommodate a 6.5" lift anyway. It is not much of a sway bar. Most take it out and don't know the difference.

Mudderoy
04-01-2012, 11:26 PM
If you had, the factory lift or the tow package the sway bar was deleted in the rear, IIRC.

That makes sense. My 1998 came with the UpCountry package.

XJ Wheeler
04-02-2012, 06:20 AM
My brothers '90 had the skidplates and trailer hitch and also didn't come with a rear sway bar.

I removed the rear sway bar on my '92 with 4.5" lift and imo it rides better on road. My leaf springs are rather stiff and the sway bar just made it too hard and would kinda toss the vehicle when i hit a bump on one side. Although it does lean a little more in the corners, i can handle that though.