PDA

View Full Version : Welding your differential and SAVING your carrier!

XJ4IV
03-30-2012, 09:26 PM
ok I need some input on this method,
http://image.jpmagazine.com/f/9595695+w750+st0/154_0601_06_z+original_jeep_axles_old_school+spide r_gears.jpg
I first saw this a few weeks back and have been pondering the pros and cons of this and basically I havent found ANY cons... and the pros... well I get a locker in the rear which is FREE I can remove those spider gears if I decide I wanna open it back up
Im not sacrificing the whole carrier which in my case could mean if I decide later to get a lunch box locker then I DONT have to get a new carrier as mine is not exactly a junkyard find for the 4:56 and higher ratio housing

Id like ANY input on this concept and has ANYONE on here done this yet?

XJ4IV
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
heres where I found this
http://image.jpmagazine.com/f/9595695+w750+st0/154_0601_06_z+original_jeep_axles_old_school+spide r_gears.jpg

4.3LXJ
03-30-2012, 10:06 PM
I can go you one better. Just weld one valley between the teeth. It works very well in fronts where you need steering. We used to do that back in the day. You can still have a locker that way and some give on the street most of the time.

XJ4IV
03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
I can go you one better. Just weld one valley between the teeth. It works very well in fronts where you need steering. We used to do that back in the day. You can still have a locker that way and some give on the street most of the time.

So your saying every other valley? or just ONE on each gear?
I still think that the rotation would still be a factor seeing as how one the average radius your spider gear will rotate about 6 times or so given the diameter of the turn... ha WOW never thought geometry would come into play THAT much!

4.3LXJ
03-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Just one in one gear is all that is needed. It is best in the front, but could be used in the rear on that Stirling.

XJ4IV
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
lol no sterling here... dana ALLLLLLL THE WAAAAYYYY

Im not too worried about the front since I have locking hubs... Ill just drive on the street with them unlocked which will allow the wheels to spin independently from the differential

but thanks for the info on this idea... I will ponder that, whats the probability of the strain fracturing the spider gear?

4.3LXJ
04-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I am not really sure on the rear. We used that method on front D30s before lockers were available for them. The advantage is steering when not moving. I suppose it might be possible if you were banging it hard in the rocks. But I have found that taking it easy in the rocks is the way to go. I can even keep a D35 together that way

bigjim350
04-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Yes there are cons to welding it. If not they wouldn't make lockers... instead of welding just do it right and get a mini spool. They are very cheap.

Sent from my VM670

XJ4IV
04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
but welding them is essentially MAKING it a spool isnt it?

bigjim350
04-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Yep. But a mini spool would be stronger. And they are usually less than $50

Sent from my VM670

XJ4IV
04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
we;; HOLY crap... that im down for... Ive been leery about doing the diff weld cause someone brought up overheating it and it losing the tempering... I was about to give it up! none on ebay now but Ill double check other venues

xjmarc
04-01-2012, 10:58 PM
What axle is this for? That may be why you're having a hard time finding a mine spool, they don't make them for all axles.
Only problem I see with this is you still have a chance of the spiders breaking, especially the smaller ones since they will still have a little play and if they break they'll leave chunks in the carrier that'll eat up your ring and pinion. Either weld it solid or not at all.

XJ4IV
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
What axle is this for? That may be why you're having a hard time finding a mine spool, they don't make them for all axles.
Only problem I see with this is you still have a chance of the spiders breaking, especially the smaller ones since they will still have a little play and if they break they'll leave chunks in the carrier that'll eat up your ring and pinion. Either weld it solid or not at all.

yeah I got to reading on this method which is known as the "fozzy locker" and LOTS of folks that have done it were failures and caused catastrophic problems soooo that being said NO GO!
as for the axlles Im running dana 50 front out of a 2000 f250 and a dana 60 rear from a ford van

xjmarc
04-03-2012, 11:01 PM
I've yet to see a mini spool for a 60, that's one reason I welded mine. Full spools are 170 and up but for a bit more, about 380, you can get a lunchbox locker like a Spartan. Cheap and work great and more streetable than a spool and if you don't like it you can put your spiders back in and sell it.

XJ4IV
04-04-2012, 12:04 AM
I've yet to see a mini spool for a 60, that's one reason I welded mine. Full spools are 170 and up but for a bit more, about 380, you can get a lunchbox locker like a Spartan. Cheap and work great and more streetable than a spool and if you don't like it you can put your spiders back in and sell it.

have you had ANY drawbacks to fully welding your differential? and did you do the front as well or just the back?

xjmarc
04-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Just the rear, I run a locker in the front because it's easier to steer. Mine is a trail only trailer queen so it works great for me. I wouldn't want to run one on the street much but on the trail it's great.

nickxj94
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
have you had ANY drawbacks to fully welding your differential? and did you do the front as well or just the back?

Drawbacks on welding is that it puts a lot of tension on your axle shafts and will twist them like a candy cane over time.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

xjmarc
04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Drawbacks on welding is that it puts a lot of tension on your axle shafts and will twist them like a candy cane over time.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

Same thing happens with a locker. I have twisted the splines on plenty of shafts running both lunchbox and full case lockers.