PDA

View Full Version : Radiator quick fix

prerunner1982
03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Ok... my XJ got the shakes today and I am not sure if it was the shakes or me swerving into the ditch, but the fan clutch smacked the radiator and it has now sprung leak. I don't want to replace it until I can fix the DW issue but I need a way to fix the radiator so I can at least still drive it.

Would JB weld work on the fins? Any other in-expensive solutions?

prcjeep
03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
bars coolant sealer... the one with pellets. Comes in a plastic bottle that looks kinda like a red stripe jamaican beer bottle

Cheromaniac
03-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah JB Weld should work but it's slow to harden. Epoxy steel might be a better option.
Another remedy that's used in emergency situations to stop a radiator leak is bubble gum (after you've chewed it and softened it up). It's a good idea to carry a packet of bubble gum with you when you're offroading.

4.3LXJ
03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
How many tubes damaged and how bad?

prerunner1982
03-30-2012, 10:37 PM
The fan clutch had contacted the radiator previously.... I will look at it more tomorrow. So far it does not appear as bad as it did previously. Right now it looks like 2-3 tubes were seriously damaged. There is a big circle the size of the fan clutch but only a couple seem to be leaking.

4.3LXJ
03-30-2012, 10:58 PM
If it is a slow leak, then you can use some good stop leak. But if need be, a radiator shop can solder those tubes and you can straighten some fins on it to get you by.

Cheromaniac
03-31-2012, 07:40 AM
If it is a slow leak, then you can use some good stop leak. But if need be, a radiator shop can solder those tubes and you can straighten some fins on it to get you by.

The latter is a good idea but using stop leak definitely isn't. Stop Leak unfortunately isn't selective for just blocking leaks and it also has a habit of blocking other passages in the radiator core, ultimately causing overheating problems.

prerunner1982
03-31-2012, 02:29 PM
After re-reading my last response I realized I said 2-3 tubes were damaged....this is incorrect as I should have said 2-3 fins. It is not crazy bad, but it was leaking. I drove it 30 miles so far today without topping of the radiator and it has not over heated and does not seem to be leaking as bad. I will fill it up and see what happens though.

sorry about that, yesterday was a long day so my brain was not with it. My youngest (7months) daughter was sick so I didn't get much sleep, my wife was taking her to the doc and got in a wreck, I was on my way to the wreck when the jeep started shaking and I busted the radiator... looong day.

xj4life2
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
You can just crimp the offending tubes off, you will lose a bit of cooling power but its a normal trail fix for us , pesky trees jumpimg out in front of us :)