PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem / Slow Turn

Jdub76
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Hey everyone.
I have another Steering Question for yall. When Im coming OUT of a turn at SLOW speeds I have been getting a "Shimmy or Jerk" in the wheel. Did this before I lifted and still doing it now. Kinda feels like Im in 4WD, But Im not.The weird thing is it went away for a while, but now it's back. Steering Stabilizer is still stock. any thoughts?

Thanks Jerry http://www.xjtalk.com/images/smilies/pray.gif

Mudderoy
03-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey everyone.
I have another Steering Question for yall. When Im coming OUT of a turn at SLOW speeds I have been getting a "Shimmy or Jerk" in the wheel. Did this before I lifted and still doing it now. Kinda feels like Im in 4WD, But Im not.The weird thing is it went away for a while, but now it's back. Steering Stabilizer is still stock. any thoughts?

Thanks Jerry http://www.xjtalk.com/images/smilies/pray.gif

I want to know the answer to this one too! :bang:

XJ Wheeler
03-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Can't tell you the answer but have you checked the fluid level and condition?

Mudderoy
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
:bump:

No one?

4.3LXJ
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you have full time 4WD? I don't see which tcase you have listed in your vehicle info

xj4life2
03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Sounds to me like your still enguaged in 4wd or slipping in and out, thats the only reason for that,ok so there a couple more after thinking this through,one would be ball joints gone and rubbing on the knuckle , possable but unlikely(horrable noise would be associated with it) , next would be a locked TRE on the pinion arm. But I'm goin with the 4wd !!

Jdub76
03-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah thats the first thing I checked. Fluid new filled and just over 1 year old. Thanks

Jdub76
03-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Definitely NOT in 4WD. And heres the weird thing. I can go INTO a Turn very smoothly, but its when I am coming out of the turn I get this "Jerking" in the wheel.

Mudderoy
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Definitely NOT in 4WD. And heres the weird thing. I can go INTO a Turn very smoothly, but its when I am coming out of the turn I get this "Jerking" in the wheel.

Has anyone already mention alignment? You may want to check all the angles and distances. Mine started doing this (at times) after I put the drop brackets on. I haven't had it aligned yet.

Jdub76
04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
UPDATE on this Issue......
I ordered a Steering Damper / Stabilizer from Rough Country... Went out to install it on the Jeep and after many Cus Words and Busted knuckles I got the old one off,
And OH NOOO!
I Opened the box and the New shock was kinda leaking some fluid!!! (More Cussing) So I put the old one back on the XJ, The next day it was steering like new????

I have NO CLUE what I did "right" but hey it's a Jeep thing. I guess? LOL

Oh and I got Rough Country to sent me some R C Stickers for my trouble when They send me my new Stabilizer... Free Shipping Of Course!

Mudderoy
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
UPDATE on this Issue......
I ordered a Steering Damper / Stabilizer from Rough Country... Went out to install it on the Jeep and after many Cus Words and Busted knuckles I got the old one off,
And OH NOOO!
I Opened the box and the New shock was kinda leaking some fluid!!! (More Cussing) So I put the old one back on the XJ, The next day it was steering like new????

I have NO CLUE what I did "right" but hey it's a Jeep thing. I guess? LOL

Oh and I got Rough Country to sent me some R C Stickers for my trouble when They send me my new Stabilizer... Free Shipping Of Course!

Every company makes a mistake, it's how they deal with it that is important. ;)

Jdub76
04-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Every company makes a mistake, it's how they deal with it that is important. ;)

I kinda wonder if the shock got damaged during shipping, The box was pretty beat up. Looked like a train ran it over.

Still waiting on the new one, but the Old one seems to working great... Ya gotta love a Jeep that fixes it self! LOL Thanks Everyone!