PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on XJ pricing

KH96XJ
03-28-2012, 07:55 PM
I want to state that this is not my listing nor do I know the person selling it. This is all personal interest.

I know there are some deals out there to be had on a decent XJ that is somewhat built. I posted this craigslist find up here and on my local forum :link: (http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/2924172324.html) While I would try and talk the price down some I think it isn't to high considering all that has been done to it, but there was someone on the forum who said it was only worth $1k. I thought to myself he had to be kidding. I have never seen an XJ that built for sale for only $1k unless it was wrecked/blown engine or destroyed drivetrain.

All this leads me to believe that the guy was a wrangler snob despite what he said. However, I was curious what others thought a reasonable price was for this particular XJ.

http://images.craigslist.org/5Na5Q25F53nb3ka3L1c3q2c6d274347711cd6.jpg

Brasscatz
03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Honestly, I think that's fairly decent.... he's got at least that in the lift, tires and wheels I'm sure. Then with all the add-ons... I think it's pretty fair. I'd offer $2700 but I'd pay $3500 all day long LOL!!!

Also... That's awesome! I'm from Hurst. Moved to Houston 5 years ago, but I lived in Hurst all my life.

XJ Wheeler
03-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Hypothetically, i would pay no more than $3000. It does have some nice quality stuff but looks to have been neglected a little. Things like the faded flares and rust on the tire carrier tell me its been setting out and not maintained as much as i like. I just have to look past the cool and see the age and miles too.

pvlopez
03-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I paid 2500 for my 2001 60th anniversary, i think i got lucky though. Nothing extra on it (not built).

Keep in mind this is my very first car/truck ever.

cantab27
03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
na $1.99....but hey i drive wrangler.........

KH96XJ
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
na $1.99....but hey i drive wrangler.........

Your biased so I wouldn't put much stock in your opinion anyway :p :D

I could see paying $2500 to $3k for it depending on how well drives and how the engine runs. I'm already over $3800 with the purchase, upgrades and labor for the gear install since it wasn't something I wasn't comfortable doing myself.

cantab27
03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
dude i got 5k for my one down here.....thats a good price for whats on it...

KH96XJ
03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
dude i got 5k for my one down here.....thats a good price for whats on it...

I agree.

I blame my bad disposition on this subject for the lack of respect for XJ's locally :sniper:

HockeyDawg
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I'd say it's probably worth it only because a lot of the stuff isn't installed yet. My issue with buying a built Jeep is that it's probably been hammered out on the trails. At least the last one I built I beat like a rented mule. This one looks like an incomplete project so even if it's been neglected, it doesn't look like it's been wheeled hard. Just my $0.02.

cpttuna
03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
its worth what the seller is willing to let it go for and the buyer is willing to pay on the day of purchase. It has a lot of additions so that limits the buyers. How desparate is the seller. I never seemed over anxious when looking and the seller might just come down just to close the deal.

4.3LXJ
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I think it is worth it, if you are satisfied with the mods. One thing I spotted is it has short arms in the front. But if you added it up, yes it is probably worth it if you started with a stock jeep and started adding on. However if you are financing it, the mods count for nothing and you can only borrow what a stock jeep is worth.

olds-cool
03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Good luck financing a '90 anyways. IMO, it's worth about 1.5-2k. What factors into that decision is that it's now over 20 years old and has over 200k on the ticker.

cantab27
03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Good luck financing a '90 anyways. IMO, it's worth about 1.5-2k. What factors into that decision is that it's now over 20 years old and has over 200k on the ticker.

yall hate to see the prices for em down here ed...........:D

ScottJD96
04-02-2012, 08:16 AM
It's a 90, with 225 and some parts arent installed but come with it, sounds like an unfinished project. If it runs good and the front end was good, no DW or steering issues,I would offer $2700. it is 20 years old.

Mudderoy
04-02-2012, 09:18 AM
I want to state that this is not my listing nor do I know the person selling it. This is all personal interest.

I know there are some deals out there to be had on a decent XJ that is somewhat built. I posted this craigslist find up here and on my local forum :link: (http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/2924172324.html) While I would try and talk the price down some I think it isn't to high considering all that has been done to it, but there was someone on the forum who said it was only worth $1k. I thought to myself he had to be kidding. I have never seen an XJ that built for sale for only $1k unless it was wrecked/blown engine or destroyed drivetrain.

All this leads me to believe that the guy was a wrangler snob despite what he said. However, I was curious what others thought a reasonable price was for this particular XJ.

http://images.craigslist.org/5Na5Q25F53nb3ka3L1c3q2c6d274347711cd6.jpg

That's a tough one. If you look up the Kelly blue book value. I'm sure it's in the $1k range. But I think you could get $1k if you sold off the mods. I don't know enough about that rear tire carrier, but someone told me the old factory tire carriers can't handle the weight of a 33" tire if it is actually wheeled.

The bumper look to be factory, and not sure the shape of the tires.

If you look at it as if I buy this and then had to turn around and part it out to make my money back, I'd estimate about $2k. Well maybe more because of the 4.56 rear D44. I guess that would be another $500 to $750?