PDA

View Full Version : Car shopping

Brasscatz
03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
This is mainly for the Houston crowd, but feel free to play along ;)

My friend who knows diddly about cars has enlisted my assistance for the second time to find them a car. I look through craigslist from time to time, but I personally have a hard time keeping myself interested in looking for a "non fun" car that isn't even going to be mine.

If anybody sees, knows somebody, or is selling one themselves, please let me know. What we're looking for:

Reliable
Good on gas
Good condition
doesn't need major work (hopefully none at all)
The usual... Honda, Toyota, Nissan... reliable.
Here's the kicker... they want to spend around $2,000. They can go over that, but really not by much at all.

I know they're out there, just hard to find. I got my XJ for $2,000... and that's the first thing I'd suggest to them, BUT they want GOOD gas mileage! LOL.

Thanks guys! I'll still be looking too, but more eyes are helpful!

prcjeep
03-28-2012, 01:55 AM
lol good luck... lots for around 2k that are good and reliable... but good on gas... not so much

xjrev10
03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Nowadays it would be hard to find a reliable car, in good condition, with good mileage for 2k. The used car market had exploded in the last 5 years. A stock XJ with little tires will get 20mpg all day long. If 20mph ain't good enough get a bicycle!

Mudderoy
03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
This is mainly for the Houston crowd, but feel free to play along ;)

My friend who knows diddly about cars has enlisted my assistance for the second time to find them a car. I look through craigslist from time to time, but I personally have a hard time keeping myself interested in looking for a "non fun" car that isn't even going to be mine.

If anybody sees, knows somebody, or is selling one themselves, please let me know. What we're looking for:

Reliable
Good on gas
Good condition
doesn't need major work (hopefully none at all)
The usual... Honda, Toyota, Nissan... reliable.
Here's the kicker... they want to spend around $2,000. They can go over that, but really not by much at all.

I know they're out there, just hard to find. I got my XJ for $2,000... and that's the first thing I'd suggest to them, BUT they want GOOD gas mileage! LOL.

Thanks guys! I'll still be looking too, but more eyes are helpful!

My concern would be that for $2k it will be a pre 200 vehicle and will probably require at least a few hundred in maintenance to make it reliable. You could get lucky though. Obviously go with the quality imports, Honda, Toyota...

Brasscatz
03-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys. I did get lucky with my Jeep. I know they're out there... I've just got to look reeeeaaaallllly hard!