PDA

View Full Version : Re: gas smell when driving

Natebub
03-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Mornin people. Alright went to pick my boys up from school yesterday and I've had this before but I can smell gas once I been driving for a little and then slow down or come to stop lights and stuff. I have looked all over my Jeep while its running when I smell it and I cannot find where its coming from......Driving me friggen nuts. No fuel lines are leaking Gas Tank looks fine,,,no leaks there. Anybody had this problem? Came home yesterday looking for it after I picked the boys up and no luck,,,could smell it just could not find it. Any of you had this and know where I might need to look I'd appreciate it.

cantab27
03-23-2012, 05:02 AM
made this a thread for ya nath....get more answers....remember it being talk about awhile back....

Mudderoy
03-23-2012, 05:11 AM
This used to happen to me after a fill up and when I would keep filling it even after the auto pump shutoff.

How many miles on the Jeep? Any recent changes? Is it stronger in the front or the back? Does it smell all the time, or just when you are/have been running the engine, or driving it?

4.3LXJ
03-23-2012, 06:30 AM
I can't remember, does that Jeep have the charcoal canister?

prerunner1982
03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
I had this happen recently but it was the fuel pressure regulator. At first I also could not find the leak. Mine would leak when I first started it up, once I was driving it wouldn't leak much if at all since the fuel pressure had built up but while I was driving the fuel was evaporating and I could smell it. Wouldn't hurt to check and easy to replace.. though it is not the cheapest part for it's small size.

Cheromaniac
03-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Came home yesterday looking for it after I picked the boys up and no luck,,,could smell it just could not find it. Any of you had this and know where I might need to look I'd appreciate it.

If you can smell gas fumes from under the hood the most likely sources are:

Leaking injectors or injector o-rings
Leaking fuel pressure regulator o-ring
Cracked hose from charcoal canister to airbox outlet

The first two would be a particular concern because the exhaust header is directly below and there'd be a high risk of a fire. You might not see raw fuel but reddish brown stains would point to the source.

4.3LXJ
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I was thinking charcoal canister.

prerunner1982
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
I was thinking charcoal canister.

Yeah could be that too, my 93 has one.