PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

EekGirl96
03-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Ok, so I'm thinking about putting black diamond plate on my running boards around the bottom of my XJ, right now theyre black rhino lined. What do you guys think? How would I adhear it?

Its mostly for looks, some protection(if itll provide any) but i do plan on doing rock sliders/guards and eventually a full exocage.

On the rock guards and exocage, did you guys weld it straight onto the unibody or bolt it?

also any pics would be appreciated, trying to figure out a design for my exocage(one where I can keep all 4 doors on and still be able to open them up with the exocage on...i do want a bar coming from the top to the bottom).

Thanks!

OrangeXJ
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I had diamond plate on my CJ pop rivet it to the rocker panels

Mudderoy
03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Ok, so I'm thinking about putting black diamond plate on my running boards around the bottom of my XJ, right now theyre black rhino lined. What do you guys think? How would I adhear it?

Its mostly for looks, some protection(if itll provide any) but i do plan on doing rock sliders/guards and eventually a full exocage.

On the rock guards and exocage, did you guys weld it straight onto the unibody or bolt it?

also any pics would be appreciated, trying to figure out a design for my exocage(one where I can keep all 4 doors on and still be able to open them up with the exocage on...i do want a bar coming from the top to the bottom).

Thanks!

Yeah like Greg says, pop rivet. That's what DETOURS USA "Mark" told me to do with mine. I was going to seal it first though. I just got aluminum diamond plate as I knew I was going to be putting on sliders, so really the diamond plate is just to hide a couple of minor dents, and to complete the diamond plate ring I'll have around the Jeep. The bumpers are diamond plate on my rig.

I have to pull out a dented rocker panel before I attach the diamond plate. I will be painting it with bead liner, so it will be black and not shiny.

EekGirl96
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah, i may end up using bedliner on it, I can buy black diamond plate down here but wasnt sure how its attach it to my already bed liner running boards

OrangeXJ
03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah like Greg says, pop rivet. That's what DETOURS USA "Mark" told me to do with mine. I was going to seal it first though. I just got aluminum diamond plate as I knew I was going to be putting on sliders, so really the diamond plate is just to hide a couple of minor dents, and to complete the diamond plate ring I'll have around the Jeep. The bumpers are diamond plate on my rig.

I have to pull out a dented rocker panel before I attach the diamond plate. I will be painting it with bead liner, so it will be black and not shiny.

Don't seal it. If water does get behind it it could get trapped and cause the potential for rust.

EekGirl96
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Don't seal it. If water does get behind it it could get trapped and cause the potential for rust.

Good thing to know, already have some rust...dont need anymore
how sturdy will it be?

Mudderoy
03-20-2012, 03:20 PM

That's why I was going to seal it to keep that from happening! Especially after going to Creekside and later finding sand in everything.

4.3LXJ
03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
The running board has a slight curve to it. Does your metal match that curve? If not, pop riveting may not be too successful.

OrangeXJ
03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
That's why I was going to seal it to keep that from happening! Especially after going to Creekside and later finding sand in everything.

Your only guessing if it is 100% water tight