PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question - Looking for good battery type/manufacturer.

pvlopez
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
I have not even had my jeep on the road yet and i Think the battery died. Looking for good battery type/manufacturer Suggestions. Any help is great. thanks

4.3LXJ
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I am a fan of gel batteries, like the Optima. But they are expensive. NAPA has an equivalent for much less money. They don't give off acid fumes or leak. The terminals stay clean too.

KH96XJ
03-19-2012, 08:56 PM
I've had an Optima in one of my past cars and I liked it. I have an Interstate that was in the jeep when I got it and its been doing good. I'ld buy either one of those again.

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
I would definitely recommend the Optima Blue Top. I've had one in my jeep for seven years now and i think its finally starting to slip. It is pricey these days but for that amount of life i know its worth it. Although I've had a bad experience with a Optima Yellow Top, it went bad in less than a year. Both of those are gel cell deep cycles. The gel cell is good for our jeeps because is doesn't spill, leak, can hold up to the vibrations of off roading, and can handle the angles also. The deep cycle is good if you drain your battery, like say winching, where as a non deep cycle will be damaged by draining past a certain point.

For a non deep cycle nor gel cell I would recommend Interstate. Also for a cheap battery go with walmart, their warranty has worked well for me in the past (no questions asked).

cpttuna
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
with batteries,you usually get what you pay for.

bigjim350
03-19-2012, 10:16 PM
When i bought my jeep, i went to walmart and bought the cheapest battery they had. Has worked good so far for 2yrs.

pvlopez
03-20-2012, 05:06 AM
Thanks for all the input, Im not currently running any extra mods on the truck and I (unfortunately) dont think i will ever go off-roading. this is my primary/family vehicle. is it safe to say that a deep cycle battery would be over kill. Are batteries like everlast and prostart too "cheap" for the truck? And what should I be looking for in crank amps/cold crank amps and RC. Sorry for all the dumb questions. This is my first vehicle and Im a little green.

pvlopez
03-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Right now im looking at a INterstate Megatron 34. 700 cca, 875 amps/cranking amps. 24 month no hassle replacement warranty.

ScottJD96
03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Depending on how long you plan to keep your jeep is what you should spend on a battery, A cheeper two year battery is probably goin to last two years, My daughters boyfriend got the $99.00 advance auto silver batt w 2 year no hassle n it lasted 18 months. they pro rated it n gave him another for $45 after arguing with him that the alt was bad not the battery. But it was the battery n we wasted a day arguing with them.

xjmarc
03-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I run Interstate Megastarts in my tow rig and my jeep. I have run Optima yellow and red tops and they were OK but not like the ones in the past. Quality has gone to the pot in the past few years.

Cheromaniac
03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I've had good luck with the AC Delco 58/60S despite putting it to a torture test with 100+*F ambient temps. for 7 months/year. It's by no means the best but if you want a cheapish battery that'll last 3+ years, it's worth a look.

pvlopez
03-23-2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up, if A/c Delco will hold up for a couple years that'll be great. I'm Strapped for cash right now so I need something to fit my budget. I was gonna shell out the 100+ for an interstate Megatron 34 this weekend but any day is a good day so save some dough.

Mudderoy
03-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up, if A/c Delco will hold up for a couple years that'll be great. I'm Strapped for cash right now so I need something to fit my budget. I was gonna shell out the 100+ for an interstate Megatron 34 this weekend but any day is a good day so save some dough.

A few years back I had to have a battery for the Jeep and my wife's mini-van needed one about the same time, fun. Anyway I had the Sears DIE HARD and I got her a battery from WalMart. They both lasted like 5 or 7 years, I can't remember exactly, but I do remember one didn't do any better than the other.

pvlopez
03-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up just getting a jump and the car started right up. I will be fore going getting a battery. But I do have another question. How long should it take my xj to turn over when I turn the key? It seems like it takes alittle longer than normal.

Mudderoy
03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up just getting a jump and the car started right up. I will be fore going getting a battery. But I do have another question. How long should it take my xj to turn over when I turn the key? It seems like it takes alittle longer than normal.

I had two problems with mine. The starter was going out and wasn't turning the engine over as fast as most others, and I was told about it when I posted a youtube video complaining about it taking 2 and 3 attempts to start.

I replaced the starter but it still took 2 and 3 attempts. Eventually after checking the fuel pressure I found I had a bad fuel pressure regulator. I replaced the entire unit in the fuel cell and now it starts fast, and on the first attempt.

pvlopez
05-01-2012, 05:10 AM
okay bought a battery but now when i go to turn the car over all i get is one click. everything else in the car works (radio, a/c, etc). trying to decide if its the starter, alt, or selinoid. any help is great.

4.3LXJ
05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Do the headlights dim when you try to start?

XJ Wheeler
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Cleaning the terminals would be my first move.

cpttuna
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Check cable from Bat+ to starter

pvlopez
05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
So i replaced the battery with a cheap bosch battery from Pep boys, the truck still wouldnt turn over. Today i took out the starter and to auto zone. they tested and it was bad. Now im looking for a good (inexpensive) replacement starter/selinoid. would love it to be under 50 bucks. ive seen some replacements on ebay and other sites that say they are compatible. Figured i'd check here first before i go buying stuff. Here is the link to ebay. if its good let me know and i will go ahead and purchase. all help is wanted and appreciated. Thanks alot in advance.

pvlopez
05-06-2012, 04:04 PM
After replacing the battery and still not getting the car to start. I pulled out the starter and took it to autozone they said it was bad, now im looking for a good replacement starter. Im hoping to get it for cheap. I saw this one but i wasnt sure so i came to ask the experts. If some one could look at this ad on ebay for me and let me know what they think that would be great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-99-02-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Wrangler-TJ-4-0L-NEW-/350534556044?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2001%7CMake%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee% 7CSubmodel%3ASport&hash=item519d7cd98c&vxp=mtr

bluedragon436
05-06-2012, 04:10 PM
It says that it will fit an 98-01 XJ... so you should be good to go there... And it does have a warranty, so if the starter doesn't want to work... then you can return it for another one, just like at the auto parts store.. just a bit cheaper!! Although you can pick up a Duralast starter from Autozone for roughly the same price, especially if you turn in your old busted starter to avoid the core charge... and you wouldn't have to wait for the shipping!!