PDA

View Full Version : K&n fipk

Jarlaxle
03-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Heard from several people they are worth power and mileage. (I'm inclined to believe it, the stock setup looks awful.) Anyone here running one...if so: how do you like it?

Mudderoy
03-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Heard from several people they are worth power and mileage. (I'm inclined to believe it, the stock setup looks awful.) Anyone here running one...if so: how do you like it?

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/knn/knn_57-3509.jpg

The first thing I don't like about these is they are almost completely open. This isn't good for any high water you might drive through. I know if you're on the street 99% of the time why put up with bad gas mileage right? At least here in Houston, you never know when it might flood. And I for one don't plan on sitting in a nice high place with my 4x4 Jeep with the vettes and the mustangs waiting for the water to go down.

The other thing I've considered is cost versus savings. The cheapest one I found was about $150, but I believe most are in the $300 range. If you got just 1 mpg better, assuming 16 mpg and $3.65 a gallon well that would be about 17 miles per tank for me. That means a savings of about $3.65 a week.

So 82 weeks later the savings in fuel would have paid for the new air intake.

Problem is most everyone (that isn't writing a review or selling one) says the mpg is ZERO difference. Most likely there is a mpg difference as I doubt that the review writers are that dishonest and more than likely the mpg is well below 1 mpg, so the only way you would noticed it would be to test it in a much more control environment. In other words the net loss or gain is being swamped by other factors.

In the end, and I was advised by a very nice vendor (off the record) that it was worthless for mpg gains.

What you might consider and is about the same price, is a snorkel. It helps ensure the engine will keep going in high water, and you pull in cooler air from well above the engine compartment.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2012, 10:36 AM
The other thing I don't like about the K&N, and I have a filter if anyone wants to buy it, is that they use oil in the fabric. I currently have an AEM that filters better and is a dry filter. Also washable.

Jarlaxle
03-18-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/knn/knn_57-3509.jpg

The first thing I don't like about these is they are almost completely open. This isn't good for any high water you might drive through. I know if you're on the street 99% of the time why put up with bad gas mileage right? At least here in Houston, you never know when it might flood. And I for one don't plan on sitting in a nice high place with my 4x4 Jeep with the vettes and the mustangs waiting for the water to go down.

The other thing I've considered is cost versus savings. The cheapest one I found was about $150, but I believe most are in the $300 range. If you got just 1 mpg better, assuming 16 mpg and $3.65 a gallon well that would be about 17 miles per tank for me. That means a savings of about $3.65 a week.

So 82 weeks later the savings in fuel would have paid for the new air intake.

Problem is most everyone (that isn't writing a review or selling one) says the mpg is ZERO difference. Most likely there is a mpg difference as I doubt that the review writers are that dishonest and more than likely the mpg is well below 1 mpg, so the only way you would noticed it would be to test it in a much more control environment. In other words the net loss or gain is being swamped by other factors.

In the end, and I was advised by a very nice vendor (off the record) that it was worthless for mpg gains.

What you might consider and is about the same price, is a snorkel. It helps ensure the engine will keep going in high water, and you pull in cooler air from well above the engine compartment.

It's no lower than the stock airbox...I do not do water crossings & do not live in a flood-prone area. (If there's any chance of a water crossing, I'll take my F350 or my wife's K-5 Blazer.) Directly from someone that used one (JP magazine writer), it was worth a consistant 1.5MPG boost. I'm good for 25-28,000 miles per year, so the ROI is considerably better than your numbers. (My quick calculation was about an 8-month payoff.) From Summit, it's about $250...I'd love to get one for $150, though!

Mudderoy
03-18-2012, 11:42 AM
It's no lower than the stock airbox...I do not do water crossings & do not live in a flood-prone area. (If there's any chance of a water crossing, I'll take my F350 or my wife's K-5 Blazer.) Directly from someone that used one (JP magazine writer), it was worth a consistant 1.5MPG boost. I'm good for 25-28,000 miles per year, so the ROI is considerably better than your numbers. (My quick calculation was about an 8-month payoff.) From Summit, it's about $250...I'd love to get one for $150, though!

If you do get it I would love to know what your mpg gains are and how long it takes to pay for itself.

Ben824
03-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I have been running the K&N FIPK kit for 7 years and it has held up fine and in deep water I don't seem to suck any in the motor but I understand I do not have a snorkel so I am careful of what I get into. I stick to stuf nothing higher than the top of my bumper. Anyways as far as mileage and power well the difference is virtually unnoticeable. Would I buy the K&N FIPK kit again? No, not for the price. I would get one that costs less. Honestly the better investment would be a snorkel but some are hesitant to cut a hole in their fender but you would more than likely get better results from it along with the Spectre concealed filter housing they sell as you would have a less restrictive ram air setup. Also the airflow snorkel as listed here http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=550 is only a little bit more than the FIPK kit but you get a freaki g snorkel! If you don't want a snorkel the just get a drop in K&N filter for the factory air box and open up the opening some more and you would get about the same performance.

Mudderoy
03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
You guys may not have the situation where you are, but in Houston it can be okay in the morning, you go to work and by the time you leave for the day it's flooding. Sometimes high water just happens.

gary63
03-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't know about anyone with a cold air intake but the k&n one that you are showing that is open pulls more warm air into your intake and that is what I have found using edge insite the stock or a plastic box seem to keep the heat
from the engin out alittle better. cooler air better performence. the open one like k&n and edge gets warm and make the air warmer.

XJ Wheeler
03-18-2012, 03:49 PM
You guys may not have the situation where you are, but in Houston it can be okay in the morning, you go to work and by the time you leave for the day it's flooding. Sometimes high water just happens.

Experienced this a few times, seems like Houston needs to do some work on the drainage system.

Mudderoy
03-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Experienced this a few times, seems like Houston needs to do some work on the drainage system.

Houston isn't the size of one of your wussy cities. :rotfl2:

XJ Wheeler
03-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Houston isn't the size of one of your wussy cities. :rotfl2:

Lol, no argument here.

Showtime3492
03-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I'll post up a pic of the filter and setup I made. I used a filter that is 5 inch diameter off the k&n website and made a concentric reducer out of 20 ga sheetmetal that necks the filter down gradually from 5 inch to the factory 2.3/8 ish or whatever it is. With this I definitely noticed seat of pants difference...its not the claimed 15 HP that k&n claims from there filters but its more snappy upon acceleration. And cost was about 60$ instead of 300$

XJ408
03-18-2012, 10:59 PM
When I bought my XJ...it came with k&n fipk...well worth it....makes a huge difference in acceleration...gas mileage wise it dropped two miles...if my Jeep didn't have one I would run AEM....

Mudderoy
03-18-2012, 11:23 PM
I'll post up a pic of the filter and setup I made. I used a filter that is 5 inch diameter off the k&n website and made a concentric reducer out of 20 ga sheetmetal that necks the filter down gradually from 5 inch to the factory 2.3/8 ish or whatever it is. With this I definitely noticed seat of pants difference...its not the claimed 15 HP that k&n claims from there filters but its more snappy upon acceleration. And cost was about 60$ instead of 300$

See this is what I think those things should cost. $300 to me is insane. A write up on how to would be very welcomed here.

Cheromaniac
03-19-2012, 08:19 AM
I made my own cold air intake for a fraction of the cost of a K&N FIPK. Granted mine looks crude by comparison but unlike K&N's, mine does actually draw in ambient air it has a big 7" cone filter. Home Depot will have the necessary materials and you can buy the filter from http://www.sbfilters.com/Store/Universal-Filters.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/FIPK1.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/FIPK2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/FIPK3.jpg

Mudderoy
03-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Speak of the devil...

Houston weather alert: Flash flood watch tonight through Tuesday PM. 1"-3" expected, 3"-5" possible.

Showtime3492
03-19-2012, 03:19 PM
See this is what I think those things should cost. $300 to me is insane. A write up on how to would be very welcomed here.

Will try to post a write up on here tonight its a little more complicated than a DIY pvc pipe one but its definitely more effective and better looking

Jarlaxle
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Woot! Scored a full FIPK (new, in the box, opened but never used) for $100!

Jeepster19
04-01-2012, 11:29 AM
I bought one awhile back,no gains as far as I could tell.My mileage went down&no wonder because it sucks hot air in.If someone would make one that goes in the inner fender like on a fox body mustang it would be beneficial.I sold mine for $100 cash.:D

?blue?sdriver
04-01-2012, 03:57 PM
search keywords "My version of a cowl snorkel" Cheap, easily done, and flippen awesome in the wet. ?Blues? Has been stacked with snow and poured on with rain, and still maintained a dry filter. I have no complaints. AND. Its a TRUE CAI on the DIY. Mine has a cone filter in the stock box, but by and large the stock filter is used. On my previous XJ Thumper I had done an IN COWL cone filter CAI set up, also with stellar results, but I believe this set up is better, as it retains the stock airbox so youre not taking off the cowl every time you wash/change filters. Also, read through the entire thing. Some have chosen to do the mod with a flex hose instead of hard hosing it. I did. Works fab u LOUS.

http://i52.tinypic.com/xl04mo.jpg

:link: (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my-version-cowl-snorkle-67919/)