PDA

View Full Version : Clutch? or tranny?

da9r00d
03-17-2012, 04:15 PM
i have an 88 XJ with a BA10 5speed, sometimes its hard to get into gear, the other night i had trouble getting it into first. sometimes it shifts smooth and others its rough. i recently changed the fluid in the tranny, shifted smooth after. i also recently bleed the clutch fluid. the other day i was driving and dumped the clutch into second gear (passing someone going on the freeway) thats when i noticed the rough shifting more.

my question is can i be the clutch/master/slave cylinder? i have never changed any of them nor do i know when they have been. the master looks new-ish.

also will any clutch fit or slave work? or is it transmission specific (AX15/BA10)?

i was looking into converting to AX15 but i have to buy piece by piece to get the best price. im looking to fix the problem for now until i can swap to an AX15.

also is it hard to change the T-case input shaft? i have a 21 spline and the AX15 is a 23.

4.3LXJ
03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
First, it sounds like you need a new master cylinder. They typically start not passing enough fluid and that shortens the stroke of the slave. They are not hard to change. As far as the tcase input, no not hard but you do have to disassemble the entire case to do it. I think if you are going to do this, that considering the price of a new input gear, $200, it would be cheaper and easier to get another case with 21 splines. The other thing is if you get an AX15, get one that comes from a later Jeep and already has the 23 spline shaft.

da9r00d
03-18-2012, 11:53 PM
im gonna pull the trans out and change the clutch w/slave. but i dont know if the clutch is trans specific or will both AX15 and BA10 clutches work.

the MAster looks new but ill probably change that too.

4.3LXJ
03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes, the same clutch will work for both trannys.