PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit and tire set up? noob

meXJnyc
03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
getting a 2000 xj this weekend. which lift kit is good and decent price? want a 4.5 inch lift. what wheel set up to use with out changing gear ration and make it street legal?

cantab27
03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
what kinda wheeling ya going to be doing...............

meXJnyc
03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
what kinda wheeling ya going to be doing...............
lil bit rocks,trails. just starting out simple stuff.

?blue?sdriver
03-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I have a philosophy. Do it right the first time. The reason for that philosophy is that I experienced the "Never do it right the first time because theres always time to go back and do it again". I was impatient. Also "Good/decent price" can mean a broad spectrum of things. Saving up/spending a bit more cash and getting it RIGHT so youre satisfied should not be ignored in favor of instant gratification. That said, this is what I suggest. RESEARCH. exhaustive research. On here, and any other XJ specific forum you can access and at lift kit manufacturer websites. Spend time viewing opinions, experiences, write ups, ect. Youll thank me later. THAT said, I can also tell you this. A 4 inch lift will be suitable for tires up to 31". Thats IT. On some kits they still may rub minorly, too, so mind that. Did I mention you need to be doing alot of RESEARCH? and dont forget to do some research. Theres OODLES of write ups, evals, and experience threads on multiple XJ specific boards. Read at least a lot of them before choosing a kit. Also, on this particular site, there is a sticky titled "Lifts". Good info there to start. I was compelled to write this out of my own experience when I was a "Noob" To the offroad thing. I went the wrong way for instant gratification. Be patient, DO RESEARCH, choose wisely, and Wheel happily ever after! Not saying research will make choosing easier, but it will educate you, because sounds to me like youll be doing the Daily Driver/Light offroading thing with your XJ, and that means you want something that excels on and off the road.
Hope this helps, and if youd like to start with my experience, IM me. Boy do I hava horror story for YOU.

XJ4IV
03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
if your on a budget I say go with the rough country 4.5 or 6.5 long arm kit... you will never WANT to change it unless you decide to go all out and change axles! with the 4.5 you can run 33's with very minimal trimming if any at all, and with the 6.5 you can swing 35's but thats pushing the stock gear ratio a little far, speaking of what IS your factory ratio?

once youve wheeled it like that after a year or so asses the situation and see how often you broke an axle shaft on your front axle... or if you feel youve been "babying it" so you DON'T break anything then you might wanna just upgrade the shafts to chromoly from what I hear that is a dana 44 strength upgrade.
to put the axle thing into perspective if I had known about the benefits of doing chromoly shafts I wouldnt have built my dana 60's!

meXJnyc
03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
if your on a budget I say go with the rough country 4.5 or 6.5 long arm kit... you will never WANT to change it unless you decide to go all out and change axles! with the 4.5 you can run 33's with very minimal trimming if any at all, and with the 6.5 you can swing 35's but thats pushing the stock gear ratio a little far, speaking of what IS your factory ratio?

once youve wheeled it like that after a year or so asses the situation and see how often you broke an axle shaft on your front axle... or if you feel youve been "babying it" so you DON'T break anything then you might wanna just upgrade the shafts to chromoly from what I hear that is a dana 44 strength upgrade.
to put the axle thing into perspective if I had known about the benefits of doing chromoly shafts I wouldnt have built my dana 60's!

xj is stock. rough country,rustys,skyjacker r my choices on kits.

meXJnyc
03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I have a philosophy. Do it right the first time. The reason for that philosophy is that I experienced the "Never do it right the first time because theres always time to go back and do it again". I was impatient. Also "Good/decent price" can mean a broad spectrum of things. Saving up/spending a bit more cash and getting it RIGHT so youre satisfied should not be ignored in favor of instant gratification. That said, this is what I suggest. RESEARCH. exhaustive research. On here, and any other XJ specific forum you can access and at lift kit manufacturer websites. Spend time viewing opinions, experiences, write ups, ect. Youll thank me later. THAT said, I can also tell you this. A 4 inch lift will be suitable for tires up to 31". Thats IT. On some kits they still may rub minorly, too, so mind that. Did I mention you need to be doing alot of RESEARCH? and dont forget to do some research. Theres OODLES of write ups, evals, and experience threads on multiple XJ specific boards. Read at least a lot of them before choosing a kit. Also, on this particular site, there is a sticky titled "Lifts". Good info there to start. I was compelled to write this out of my own experience when I was a "Noob" To the offroad thing. I went the wrong way for instant gratification. Be patient, DO RESEARCH, choose wisely, and Wheel happily ever after! Not saying research will make choosing easier, but it will educate you, because sounds to me like youll be doing the Daily Driver/Light offroading thing with your XJ, and that means you want something that excels on and off the road.
Hope this helps, and if youd like to start with my experience, IM me. Boy do I hava horror story for YOU.

thanx for info

xjrev10
03-12-2012, 12:51 AM
I run a 4.5 RC short arm with 34" swampers. Jeep rides on a trailer, cuz I wheel the heck outa it. I like the setup. The short arms keep the tires outa the fenders.

Research. There are all sorts of things you can do. But, don't believe everything you read online!!!!

meXJnyc
03-12-2012, 01:17 AM
I run a 4.5 RC short arm with 34" swampers. Jeep rides on a trailer, cuz I wheel the heck outa it. I like the setup. The short arms keep the tires outa the fenders.

Research. There are all sorts of things you can do. But, don't believe everything you read online!!!!

thanx going with the 4.5 RC short arm kit. later on upgrade to a long arm.

4.3LXJ
03-12-2012, 01:57 AM
xj is stock. rough country,rustys,skyjacker r my choices on kits.

Skyjacker tends to be too stiff for rocks. You need good flex there. Rusty's has some kits with good flex, as well as Rubicon Express. As far as Rough Country goes, my advise is to hold off on them until they get their bushing and inserts straightened out. Also the steel in their links tends to be a bit thin

meXJnyc
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Skyjacker tends to be too stiff for rocks. You need good flex there. Rusty's has some kits with good flex, as well as Rubicon Express. As far as Rough Country goes, my advise is to hold off on them until they get their bushing and inserts straightened out. Also the steel in their links tends to be a bit thin

thanx for the heads up.

meXJnyc
03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Rustys has good deal lift kit with wheels and tires.

XJ Rat
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Whatever kit you get, buy the spring packs and not the add a leaf. Sure the packs will cost a little bit more, but they will flex better and offer a better ride.

meXJnyc
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Whatever kit you get, buy the spring packs and not the add a leaf. Sure the packs will cost a little bit more, but they will flex better and offer a better ride.

thanx

denverd1
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
4.5" will get you going for sure. i've got a 4.5" Rub Exp lift and my 32s rubbed slightly. Trimmed a bit and there all good. A few other things to keep in mind - you need good tires, they're worth every penny. And you'll need new shocks to go with the lift; they can be bought separately or with a kit, just keep it in mind. Brake lines are nice extras with kits. As are upper control arms; the stamped OEM ones aren't very stiff. Have fun and post some pics.