PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Upgrade or Trade?

RickBunn
03-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi All,
I have a 1989 Cherokee with 124K on it and I enjoy the vehicle, but it needs a lot of work if I'm going to keep it.
It runs well, but it's showing it's age and the NTB guys put 2 size over tires on it (they told me that there would be no problems, but...)
The paint is in bad shape, but so far no rust.
I use the jeep to support my amateur radio operations as the Emergency Cooridinator for Alexandria VA. This is a volunteer type thing and we don't get a great deal of bad weather, but the XJ is equipped with HF/VHF/UHF radios to support portable operations.
I have been looking for a good late model XJ but have not found anything I would trust. So I think my options are to find a good used late model or overhaul the 89.
Any ideas would be helpful.
I'm an engineer but NOT a mechanic.
Regards
RickBunn
N4ASX

Mudderoy
03-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi All,
I have a 1989 Cherokee with 124K on it and I enjoy the vehicle, but it needs a lot of work if I'm going to keep it.
It runs well, but it's showing it's age and the NTB guys put 2 size over tires on it (they told me that there would be no problems, but...)
The paint is in bad shape, but so far no rust.
I use the jeep to support my amateur radio operations as the Emergency Cooridinator for Alexandria VA. This is a volunteer type thing and we don't get a great deal of bad weather, but the XJ is equipped with HF/VHF/UHF radios to support portable operations.
I have been looking for a good late model XJ but have not found anything I would trust. So I think my options are to find a good used late model or overhaul the 89.
Any ideas would be helpful.
I'm an engineer but NOT a mechanic.
Regards
RickBunn
N4ASX

I've been really happy with my 1998. We bought it new. A few years ago I decided I was going to keep it. At 175k the transmission was just rebuilt and my fellow admin and I are collecting parts for an engine build and swap.

It's not a great base of operations for an Amatuer station simply because it's small, but fortunately the rigs have got a lot smaller. So for one, maybe two, operators it's doable, maybe just not as comfortable.

I would get a 97+ Cherokee. 99 if you can find it.

Carves
03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Its always nice to go upmarket ... but if you already "know" the vehicle ... It might be better to give it what it needs ... rather than dealing with "suprises" - in a replacement vehicle.

Most of the blokes here will tell you the tyre issue is an easy fix .... by just fitting a suspension lift ... :D

and its OK ... an XJ is pretty simple to work on .... even for an engineer .. :p .. :D:D

Welcome aboard .....

Brasscatz
03-11-2012, 09:27 PM
124k? That's low mileage buddy! I bought mine with 175k on it and I'm going to get another 100k at least! Honestly though, either way would be ok. What problems in particular are we talking about? I saw the paint issue and tire size stuff. If the paint is bad, rattle can flat black actually looks good on these Jeeps. If it runs well, that's a keeper I think. If the problems are severe, I can see thinking about another. Or heck... keep this one and buy another if you can. I want another one myself to play with!

cantab27
03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Its always nice to go upmarket ... but if you already "know" the vehicle ... It might be better to give it what it needs ... rather than dealing with "suprises" - in a replacement vehicle.

Most of the blokes here will tell you the tyre issue is an easy fix .... by just fitting a suspension lift ... :D

and its OK ... an XJ is pretty simple to work on .... even for an engineer .. :p .. :D:D

Welcome aboard .....

duh..the aussie makes sence :eek:......good bit of advice .......tis a low mile one.......welcome to the site

Carves
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
duh..the aussie makes sence :eek:......good bit of advice .......tis a low mile one.......welcome to the site

Whats more surprising .... :confused:

Is that the kiwi understood ... :eek::eek::eek:

:smiley-taunt013: .... :D

RickBunn
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks All for the welcome and the advice. I would like to find something later for the increased horsepower (the 89 is rated at 145 and i understand the later models are up around 200.

I will look at the cost of a new suspension (need to find someone in the northern VA area that can do this work).

My thought was, if I keep the 89, go through a systematic overhaul of the power train and suspension.

As for amateur radio operations, I have two of the radios, set up to be remoted to the front for normal ops but the heads to the HF and Dual Band (2 and 440 can be set up in the back and I keep a tarp, bungie cords and a lawn chair in the back. The 220 and 6 meter radios are not remoted to the back, but I have other radios that I can move to the back when needed. Will send pictures if there is interest.

You all have convinced me that it is better to fix what I have then look for a later model.

regards
RickBunn

Mudderoy
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks All for the welcome and the advice. I would like to find something later for the increased horsepower (the 89 is rated at 145 and i understand the later models are up around 200.

I will look at the cost of a new suspension (need to find someone in the northern VA area that can do this work).

My thought was, if I keep the 89, go through a systematic overhaul of the power train and suspension.

As for amateur radio operations, I have two of the radios, set up to be remoted to the front for normal ops but the heads to the HF and Dual Band (2 and 440 can be set up in the back and I keep a tarp, bungie cords and a lawn chair in the back. The 220 and 6 meter radios are not remoted to the back, but I have other radios that I can move to the back when needed. Will send pictures if there is interest.

You all have convinced me that it is better to fix what I have then look for a later model.

regards
RickBunn

lol that sounds pretty neat. The guys on the local repeater kept telling me I needed a 2 meter to go along with the HF radio. I told them I was in a small vehicle and the ICOM 706 did both. I wouldn't mind being able to listen on two bands, but it's not worth the dash space to me.

bluedragon436
03-13-2012, 06:54 AM
:welcome:to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!! I love the newer bodied XJ's, not only for the added HP, but also for th sleeker look of the body and interior.. Like was said before, you already know the current needs of your XJ.. But for me having what I want is worth the learning the needs of a new vehicle..

1ATony
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the site