PDA

View Full Version : Good Vehicle To Buy?

Mudderoy
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
The last NEW vehicle I purchased was a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I know the Jeep Wrangler TJ are good vehicles, basically they are an XJ with a different body.

If I needed to go buy a new, or recently new (2 years old) vehicle now, what would I buy?

I'm just taking about a good vehicle that cost little to operate and was a good mechanically sound design that would last as long as a Jeep.

XJ Wheeler
03-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Volkswagen TDI

LizardRunner
03-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I have to second wheeler's choice. there are also the BMW and Mercedes. Just saw a sweet 1960 C class at the grocery store parking lot, that is still running strong with something like 500k on the odo, never has had any major work done to date according to the owner, who bought the thing new. And it has a gas engine instead of the diesel.

Mudderoy
03-09-2012, 11:08 AM
I have to second wheeler's choice. there are also the BMW and Mercedes. Just saw a sweet 1960 C class at the grocery store parking lot, that is still running strong with something like 500k on the odo, never has had any major work done to date according to the owner, who bought the thing new. And it has a gas engine instead of the diesel.

If I'm going to buy something old, I'll stick with a Jeep, I was wondering about the new stuff. :D

LizardRunner
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I was talking about the new stuff, just gave the old mercedes as an example.

Mudderoy
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I was talking about the new stuff, just gave the old mercedes as an example.

Ahhh okay. Yeah I'd like to get the wife a convertible Mercedes. lol cha-ching!

cantab27
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
one of them there smart cars...two seater jobbie......drive that for a week and ya wont care how much gas ya jeeps drink....they come in red...

Brasscatz
03-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, it depends on what all you're going for. How much you want to spend, etc. Honda Civic's are great. VW's are good too. you have any more specific criteria?

Brasscatz
03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
one of them there smart cars...two seater jobbie......drive that for a week and ya wont care how much gas ya jeeps drink....they come in red...

Indeed! And my desk is in the Smart Car showroom... I can always talk to them here for ya

Mudderoy
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, it depends on what all you're going for. How much you want to spend, etc. Honda Civic's are great. VW's are good too. you have any more specific criteria?

It's my impression that no one makes a long lasting vehicle anymore. I'm not looking I'm just curious about what is out there that is well made. Affordable. Something under $22k (God that's a lot of money!)

XJ Wheeler
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
To me, if your looking from something to last its gonna be a truck (oddly not a diesel). They're just built to tolerate more, and last longer than most of these little cars our world seems to be getting very full with. We've owned two late model chevy 1-ton 6.0l gas trucks and both have in my opinion held up well. The '07 got traded at 316k mls, other than a few electrical gremlins we had to replace the torque converter and it had a persistent valvetrain tap. The '10 is currently at 192k and still going strong. It did do some slight overheating last summer but it was manageable and did have to replace the a/c condenser due to a defect.

But as far as lasting through the years i wonder how these "plastic" vehicles are going to hold up.

Mudderoy
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
To me, if your looking from something to last its gonna be a truck (oddly not a diesel). They're just built to tolerate more, and last longer than most of these little cars our world seems to be getting very full with. We've owned two late model chevy 1-ton 6.0l gas trucks and both have in my opinion held up well. The '07 got traded at 316k mls, other than a few electrical gremlins we had to replace the torque converter and it had a persistent valvetrain tap. The '10 is currently at 192k and still going strong. It did do some slight overheating last summer but it was manageable and did have to replace the a/c condenser due to a defect.

But as far as lasting through the years i wonder how these "plastic" vehicles are going to hold up.

Yep, I made that same decision for the same reasons in the early 80's. My first truck was a 1980 Chevy Scottsdale LWB, I had a total of 4 before I got the Jeep. I really like trucks. After seeing msmoorenburg's 2002(?) Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab I was very tempted to get me one.

Brasscatz
03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Yeah, it does seem that nothing is made to last anymore. The new G6 my wife had was in the shop 13 times before the warranty went out. Then we traded it in for her Patriot. It's been in the shop twice, and I'm going to have to take it back again. Toyota keeps having recalls, it's just so hard now days to get a car that doesn't have problems.

Jamie Lynn
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Me personally..I would have to say go with if you can find it a 5.9 cummins but don't go automatic..nothing but headaches due to the transmissions don't hold up if you start to build it for more power. I know with Doug's truck which is an 07 we really haven't had any problems. Now we did have to "beef" up the transmission because the truck is used on the drag strip and a daily driver. I absolutely love it. With a chip in it on winter fuel we are getting anywhere from 21-23 mpg...during summer fuel we get anywhere from 24-26 mpg and that is on our back roads...When we are on the highway on summer fuel we get about 28 and during the winter on the highway we get about 26. The only down fall is the cost of diesel in our area is about $4.25 a gallon...talk about a :sign0055: at the pump...but in my eyes..its well worth it.

XJ Wheeler
03-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Yep, I made that same decision for the same reasons in the early 80's. My first truck was a 1980 Chevy Scottsdale LWB, I had a total of 4 before I got the Jeep. I really like trucks. After seeing msmoorenburg's 2002(?) Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab I was very tempted to get me one.
I do like those dodges, i think that started back when i first saw Twister (movie). Plus several years ago we got a 2000? Ram reg cab with the 5.9 gas and it could break the tires loose no problem (not me driving lol). Plus I like the styling since '94 except a little less on the '06-'09 trucks (headlights and grille too big for my taste).

Me personally..I would have to say go with if you can find it a 5.9 cummins but don't go automatic..nothing but headaches due to the transmissions don't hold up if you start to build it for more power. I know with Doug's truck which is an 07 we really haven't had any problems. Now we did have to "beef" up the transmission because the truck is used on the drag strip and a daily driver. I absolutely love it. With a chip in it on winter fuel we are getting anywhere from 21-23 mpg...during summer fuel we get anywhere from 24-26 mpg and that is on our back roads...When we are on the highway on summer fuel we get about 28 and during the winter on the highway we get about 26. The only down fall is the cost of diesel in our area is about $4.25 a gallon...talk about a :sign0055: at the pump...but in my eyes..its well worth it.

That's really good for a diesel these days, especially since they switch to that horrible low sulfur diesel. But to add i wouldn't mess with the 6.7l cummins, heard way too much bad. Don't get me wrong the 5.9l cummins is the best diesel engine to be put in a truck. I wouldn't touch any of the new diesels, too many problems since the fuel switch. Back when they first switched tons of owners of older trucks were replacing injectors right and left. Shops were raking in the cash because the fuel was eating the rubber. Now you gotta put additives in the fuel. Also numerous problems since the particulate filters being introduced because of the "new" fuel. And now you gotta add DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) every oil change.

Till they get all this mess worked out just stay away from the new diesels trucks. Just my .02.

bigjim350
03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
For a cheap dependable car id go with Nissan, Toyota, or Honda. I tow broken down BMW's and Benz's all the time. And most of them aren't very old.

Sent from my VM670

DETOURS
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
'08-12 kk.....

KH96XJ
03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I ended up buying a '04 Jetta TDI back in Jan. but I got stuck with the tiptronic auto. I've been happy with it so far. I exceed the speed limit on occasion,excessively all the time, and it's nice that 12.5 gallons will carry me an avg of 450 miles. I end up with half of my commute city driving so it could be better if it was more hwy.

Supposedly the '01-'03 are supposed to have the best diesel engines. Think it was AHL model, where as mine has the PD and the newer ones are common rail if I remembered correctly.

Sneedle Vision
03-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Another vote for Honda here. We bought an 04 Accord V6 new and it ran without issue. Just kept up with the regular maintenance and after 140k, it only needed front brakes around 90k.

pvt.tadpolxj
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Hey Muddy....Since you are already into Mechanic's Finding something early model will save you in cost because you can find something little to no computer and still carberated.....:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerlea der:

denverd1
03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Toyota. Got 130K on my sequoia with nothing but scheduled maintenance. fires right up like the day I drove it home. Tundra trucks look great with a little lift and some tires.

Toyota Certified pre-owned means its been through their system of various checkpoints FWIW and I'm sure you can find one in your range. I fully expect to get 250K out of mine before it needs any work. Only kicker on recent yota engines is the timing belt service. 90K interval for the 4.7L so make sure its been done if your mileage is close to the interval for whatever engine is in there.

Jamie Lynn
03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I do like those dodges, i think that started back when i first saw Twister (movie). Plus several years ago we got a 2000? Ram reg cab with the 5.9 gas and it could break the tires loose no problem (not me driving lol). Plus I like the styling since '94 except a little less on the '06-'09 trucks (headlights and grille too big for my taste).

That's really good for a diesel these days, especially since they switch to that horrible low sulfur diesel. But to add i wouldn't mess with the 6.7l cummins, heard way too much bad. Don't get me wrong the 5.9l cummins is the best diesel engine to be put in a truck. I wouldn't touch any of the new diesels, too many problems since the fuel switch. Back when they first switched tons of owners of older trucks were replacing injectors right and left. Shops were raking in the cash because the fuel was eating the rubber. Now you gotta put additives in the fuel. Also numerous problems since the particulate filters being introduced because of the "new" fuel. And now you gotta add DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) every oil change.

Till they get all this mess worked out just stay away from the new diesels trucks. Just my .02.

Exactly, the 6.7l is junk...no power..takes forever for the turbo to spool right and the injectors and cp3 pump go out like crazy on them...I have to say if you buy a diesel by far stay with the 5.9l. The "boyfriend" has an 07...we haven't had to replace really anything other then the stuff he broke from drag racing and "beefing" it up.

default83
03-15-2012, 07:46 AM
gotta go with Toyota, my 01 tacoma that i recently sold to my brother had 270k on the clock, never had a problem, only thing ever replaced was the starter, it even still had the original radiator/alternator/timing belt, and my bro still drives it 100 miles a day.

besides normal stuff, tires, batteries, etc...best vehicle ive ever owned in my life, i bought a G35 to replace it, the g35 is really really fun to drive, but does not seem nearly as reliable....

edit: i also must add, i ran the hell out of that truck, had it through the worse mud you could think of, climbed hills, jumped it, and just about anything else you can think of.