PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise coming from my XJ

EekGirl96
03-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Since I'm the type of person who likes to get multiple opinions of what could be wrong with my XJ before I start taking it apart, I have a question for you guys.

Recently I have noticed a weird noise coming from the front drivers side towards the front. The noise is like a high pitched whining noise that sometimes clatters but not often. It makes the sound randomly, some days I wont hear it others I will,...and there are some days where when I rev it up the noise gets more high pitched and I notice it more. It sounds like its coming from the power steering pump area but I recently replaced that so I'm not sure what it could be. I've had some people say that its the water pump, but like I said, I like to get more opinions before I start taking everything apart lol. Any ideas will be helpful, also if you need more clarification I'll try my best!!

Thanks!

:)

cantab27
03-08-2012, 10:28 AM
take ya belt off and spin ya pulleys....my ac pump always crapped out with all the mud and shit that gets in there......

EekGirl96
03-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Ok, even if I dont have AC(well I do, i just never use it lol)

cantab27
03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
just check the bearings in the pullys..... make a shit noise when they go bad.......take ya 5 mins

EekGirl96
03-08-2012, 10:45 AM
lol, ok that wouldve been the first thing I wouldve done to begin with,...just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience

4.3LXJ
03-08-2012, 02:47 PM
So this is RPM related and not related to speed?

EekGirl96
03-08-2012, 02:54 PM
So this is RPM related and not related to speed?

Not related to speed, the only relation is sometimes it will get more high pitched after I've been stopped at a light and then go, but most of the time I hear it when I'm not in motion(in park, foot on the brake, etc)

4.3LXJ
03-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Wayne gave you the right advise. Pull the belt and spin stuff by hand. Usually when a water pump goes, it will leak first. The most likely culprit is the alternator, which I understand is on the other side. However they take a lot of abuse and this sounds typical of a bearing going bad in it.

Firemanray
03-08-2012, 06:00 PM
My bet is alternator. Mounted low it takes a beating from water and mud. On the lighter side the title of this thread says it all: http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10050

uberxj92
03-08-2012, 11:25 PM
check your electric fan. sounds like the bearing is going out in it, mine just went yesterday started making the same sounds you describe & at the end it started to vibrate so bad that you could feel it in the steering.

EekGirl96
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
check your electric fan. sounds like the bearing is going out in it, mine just went yesterday started making the same sounds you describe & at the end it started to vibrate so bad that you could feel it in the steering.

Thanks, I'll check it out