PDA

View Full Version : Welcome MrShanks2U!!!

msmoorenburg
03-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi MrShanks2U, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Got a Wrangler? Maybe a friend with one? http://www.WranglerTalk.com/

MrShanks2U
03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
What's up everyone?

I currently don't own an XJ, but ironically that is why I'm here. I may be buying one real soon. My sister in law is selling hers. I've always wanted one, and the timing couldn't be more perfect; I have a baby on the way and my standard cab pickup ain't gonna cut it...so I'm "in the market."

Here's the skinny:

2001 Jeep Cherokee 4-door
4x4
Auto
I-6
I think around 190,XXX miles
Stock everything

My SIL is selling it because...it needs work. The other day it wouldn't start. I told her to take the battery to Autozone. They said it was fine and she said they charged it up for her for a bit. Took the battery home, Jeep fired up and her husband drove it around for about a day with no problems. Two days later, she texts me and says it still starts, but it is difficult to get it started. And once it does start, drives fine. Sounds to me like a starter issue or maybe the alternator is going bad (could still be the battery)...but I don't know anything about XJs or their quirks.

My questions are: Is there something else I should consider with this Jeep other than the starter or alternator? Also, what other things or problem areas should I check out before I drop some $ on this thing to take it off her hands? Thanks in advance! Now, off to check out the rest of the site!

Mudderoy
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
What's up everyone?

I currently don't own an XJ, but ironically that is why I'm here. I may be buying one real soon. My sister in law is selling hers. I've always wanted one, and the timing couldn't be more perfect; I have a baby on the way and my standard cab pickup ain't gonna cut it...so I'm "in the market."

Here's the skinny:

2001 Jeep Cherokee 4-door
4x4
Auto
I-6
I think around 190,XXX miles
Stock everything

My SIL is selling it because...it needs work. The other day it wouldn't start. I told her to take the battery to Autozone. They said it was fine and she said they charged it up for her for a bit. Took the battery home, Jeep fired up and her husband drove it around for about a day with no problems. Two days later, she texts me and says it still starts, but it is difficult to get it started. And once it does start, drives fine. Sounds to me like a starter issue or maybe the alternator is going bad (could still be the battery)...but I don't know anything about XJs or their quirks.

My questions are: Is there something else I should consider with this Jeep other than the starter or alternator? Also, what other things or problem areas should I check out before I drop some $ on this thing to take it off her hands? Thanks in advance! Now, off to check out the rest of the site!

We'd need to know more about the starting problem, but common issues (other than electrical, battery, alternator, cable connections) could be the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) That's how the computer know when to spray the fuel and spark the plugs. Many a cheep Jeep has been purchased because either the connection was dirty between the cps and the plug, or the cps was bad.

I know from first hand experience a hard start can be a bad fuel pressure regulator. In the 97+ XJ's thats in the fuel tank. I replaced the whole assembly in mine, now it starts one crank instead of 2 and 3.

:welcome: to xjtalk! :D

KH96XJ
03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Welcome.

As far as the starting issue, the crankshaft position sensor or the neutral safety switch are some common problems. I'm sure someone else will add some other likely causes.

Brasscatz
03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Welcome to xjtalk! Is the Jeep actually cranking, or is it just clicking? Clicking is a dead battery, possibly caused by a bad alternator. Cranking with no fire is probably what Muddy and KH96XJ said... if those don't work, we'll be happy to help further troubleshoot! I think the 2001's came with coil, (I may be wrong) so could be bad as well. Out of the three things that engines need to run (air, fuel, fire), not getting fuel and fire are the likely culprits.... figuring out which component, is the fun part ;)

MrShanks2U
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
.... figuring out which component, is the fun part ;)
Yea, tell me about it...

Thanks for the welcome guys! As far as specifics go, I don't know much. I haven't been out to see the Jeep yet. And all the info I have is coming from my SIL who doesn't know much about cars at all. I've asked her several questions trying to figure stuff out over the phone, but all I get out of her is "I don't know..." I'm just basing my assumptions from what I am gathering over the phone. And bear in mind, I have never worked on a newer Jeep, so I know little about them. I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined; I do all my own work on my truck, except transmission and timing stuff...I don't like em and I don't want no part of em...lol

As far as the fuel pressure stuff goes, is there a schrader valve on the fuel rail? I have a guage and can check that if there is a valve.

Also, I do plan on checking the spark to all cylinders.

I'll probably head over to her place this weekend to check all this stuff and some other things.

Also, how many miles can one be safe to expect out of the 4.0s on average?

Thanks again guys!

Mudderoy
03-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Yea, tell me about it...

Thanks for the welcome guys! As far as specifics go, I don't know much. I haven't been out to see the Jeep yet. And all the info I have is coming from my SIL who doesn't know much about cars at all. I've asked her several questions trying to figure stuff out over the phone, but all I get out of her is "I don't know..." I'm just basing my assumptions from what I am gathering over the phone. And bear in mind, I have never worked on a newer Jeep, so I know little about them. I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined; I do all my own work on my truck, except transmission and timing stuff...I don't like em and I don't want no part of em...lol

As far as the fuel pressure stuff goes, is there a schrader valve on the fuel rail? I have a guage and can check that if there is a valve.

Also, I do plan on checking the spark to all cylinders.

I'll probably head over to her place this weekend to check all this stuff and some other things.

Also, how many miles can one be safe to expect out of the 4.0s on average?

Thanks again guys!

Average, I'm not sure, but I hear people getting 200k to 300k a lot. I have 177k on mine and it's got a miss at idle, runs fine driving, but I'm in the process of collecting parts for a rebuild now.

1ATony
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the site. We've had several 4.0s in my family hit over 250,000 easily. I just picked up a 97 ZJ with 104,000 and my 04 Grand has 130,000

Both have the 4.0 in them. Just keep the oil clean and you should be fine for 100,000