PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage

07Negative
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
So a friend of mine has signed on with me to build a roll cage for my 4 door XJ. I have ZERO experience with it so I was wondering if anyone had any links to proper designs or information so I can read up before making something more haphazard than safe/helpful?
The ideal is to start with a internal cage but leaving room to grow into a exo cage (if that is even possible).
I'm trying to figure out a tube bender and die set up. Renting one would probably be too costly and I've seen a few manufactured ones for under $800 with a die.

Note to Moderators: If you make it possible for images to be loaded from Flickr. I can start a build thread on here.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide. Much appreciated.

Mudderoy
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
So a friend of mine has signed on with me to build a roll cage for my 4 door XJ. I have ZERO experience with it so I was wondering if anyone had any links to proper designs or information so I can read up before making something more haphazard than safe/helpful?
The ideal is to start with a internal cage but leaving room to grow into a exo cage (if that is even possible).
I'm trying to figure out a tube bender and die set up. Renting one would probably be too costly and I've seen a few manufactured ones for under $800 with a die.

Note to Moderators: If you make it possible for images to be loaded from Flickr. I can start a build thread on here.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide. Much appreciated.

Flickr has gone out of their way to make it where you cannot hot link to your pictures. Well you can, but it's not as easy as it could be. We recommend using Photobucket.

Flickr Select your image you want to post Share > Grab the HTML/BBCode

Copy the code displayed and then paste it into your post here.

If you've already tried this and it doesn't work, let us know. I just tried it and it worked for me.

07Negative
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I used photobucket a long time ago but since have deleted the account b/c they wont support my images from my camera. I shoot in raw w a Canon 5D and most of my images use the full 21MP. So I stopped using it.
Flickr is cleaner to work with as well. So I use it. But I'll give your recommendation a shot. If it works, great.

denverd1
03-05-2012, 02:43 PM
RAW isn't supported very many places at all, so I wouldn't expect a free image hosting site to work with it either...

Cage: you can buy cage kits. Thats what i would do if I didn't already have teh necessary equipment.
http://shop.eoronline.com/product.sc?productId=9&categoryId=2
Not bad on price either. I'm looking at this project for a bit further down the road. post up whatever you end up doing.

You can link internal and exo cages together, but it sounds like you need to nail down exactly what you want to do so you don't end up duplicating things.

07Negative
03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Nice link man! I saw this other commercial make cage but they call it a "Sport Cage" and it was a 1000 bux.
What I want is something like this. With a few things added for my likings. But I want to be able to leave myself room to add a exo cage in the future. I'm thinking I wont. But I also said that about linking the rear end.
I also like hybrid cage ideal. Just like this one: http://ericsxj.com/cage/cage3.htm
I just really hate the ideal of doing the same thing as someone else.

denverd1
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
that cage is pretty cool with the fabbed front fenders. I couldn't picture what part you wanted in/out but it makes sense now. I would be cool to fab one from scratch but I'd prolly waste 2x the pipe trying to get lengths and bends just right. did you decide on anyting?

07Negative
03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm probably going to waste money and materials on this cage as well. I'm factoring that into my budget. Of course with minimal waste as possible, but with me. It's inevitable. I haven't come to any conclusions with any design. I've been drawing them out though. I think I'll stick to internal cage. I doubt I'll ever put myself in the position of needing a exo/hybrid cage. That fella Eric wheels more often and harder than I.

MudRaider
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Man, that kit in post #4 sounds like the way to go. You could probly get that installed in a weekend. You'll spend 3-4 times that in time making up your own. Sometimes it's just not worth it to make it if it is available.

07Negative
03-19-2012, 10:24 AM
One of the things I've been reading is that you want to incorporate triangulation within the design of the cage. I know I'm going to waste time and money but I that's part of the deal. But with the way things have been going with money and my property taxes going through the roof. It seems as if my roll cage money is going to the broke ass state.

4.3LXJ
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
One of the things I've been reading is that you want to incorporate triangulation within the design of the cage. I know I'm going to waste time and money but I that's part of the deal. But with the way things have been going with money and my property taxes going through the roof. It seems as if my roll cage money is going to the broke ass state.

That is where all ours is going too.

07Negative
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Bloody amazing isn't Steve? I don't know if I'm growing old and cynical or what. But it seems like every time I walk out the door I/we are getting taxed! It sucks even worse when your out of work and there is no work to be had (at least in my occupation).

4.3LXJ
03-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Yup. Stupid politicians don't get it. Make prosperity and there is plenty of money. If you just keep raising taxes, you get less. Our wealthy are fleeing the state. So much for taxing the rich.

Mudderoy
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Yup. Stupid politicians don't get it. Make prosperity and there is plenty of money. If you just keep raising taxes, you get less. Our wealthy are fleeing the state. So much for taxing the rich.

lol funny how the rich can afford to move. It's a two step process. Tax the rich, then tell the middle class that all was done now they'll have to pay more. These people aren't stupid. There is not enough money to be had even if you taxed the rich at 100%

4.3LXJ
03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I know, but it makes a nice story to get reelected on hate for those who have worked successfully