PDA

View Full Version : Ram van springs, shackles, and too much lift....

pikapp504
03-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Ok, so I upgraded my rear spring packs to Ram van main and second leaves, add-a-leaf 3rd leaf, XJ 4th and overload. I did this because my original mains were pretty well shot. I also installed a shackled relocation kit and 1.5-2" lift shackles. Here's my problem: when the shackle angle is set correctly, it's waaaaaay too high in the rear (about 5" of lift). I will admit, I tried to lower it a bit by moving the shackle position, but now the shackles are nearly flat and hitting the relocation bracket. I'm trying to get this as close to 3-4" of lift as possible because I have 3" springs in the front and I really don't want to go any higher (I'm not a hardcore wheeler, just wanted to get it up in the air a little more than stock so when I do go off-road with my buddies, I'm not dragging/hitting on stuff).

My question is: can I swap out the 1.5-2" shackles for .75-1" shackles and hopefully get the lift down to ~3-4"? I've heard that using a shorter shackle combined w/ the Ram van springs and shackle relocation brackets, it will hit the bracket at full compression. I would rather try to drop the rear instead of lifting the front. Any/all suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

pikapp504
03-05-2012, 10:33 AM
This is a pic of the lift w/ the shackle in the 2nd hole from the end on the shackle relocation bracket:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/sleeper04/IMAG0735.jpg

prerunner1982
03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
What do you think would happen if you took out the AAL 3rd leaf and replaced it with either the Ram or XJ leaf?

pikapp504
03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
I honestly don't know...it may flatten the leaf out a bit. I could always try that (but that would require taking the whole damn thing apart again. LOL do you think maybe going to a .75" shackle would lower it down enough while keeping the leaves as they are? If I were to take it apart again, maybe get rid of the 3rd leaf all together and just go w/ the Ram van main, Ram van 2nd, AAL 3rd, little overload as the "4th"?

prerunner1982
03-05-2012, 01:27 PM
A shorter shackle may do the trick, do you still have the stock shackles?

pikapp504
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I do still have the stock shackles...however I've been told that since the Ram van leaf is 2" longer in the rear, that the stock shackles won't work, even with the relocation brackets and using the rear-most hole (I've been told it hits the bracket and/or bumper on full compression).

I'm new to the whole leaf spring setup so I'm just trying to learn and not get steered the wrong direction. :-)

Mudderoy
03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
I do still have the stock shackles...however I've been told that since the Ram van leaf is 2" longer in the rear, that the stock shackles won't work, even with the relocation brackets and using the rear-most hole (I've been told it hits the bracket and/or bumper on full compression).

I'm new to the whole leaf spring setup so I'm just trying to learn and not get steered the wrong direction. :-)

I was thinking those leaves looked long! I was trying to find a good picture of mine to double check before I made a comment.

prerunner1982
03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
This is the first time I have heard of using a Ram Van leaf, typically it is a Dakota or S10 leaf..

However I don't think there is an easy fix to this... Longer shackles make the lift higher and if shorter shackles won't line up... your only other option may be to tear into the leaf packs.

4.3LXJ
03-05-2012, 01:53 PM
The best solution really is to use a standard bastard pack. Use the XJ main and put others, like the van leaves under it. I can tell from your pic that you have far to much spring under there. It will ride like a tank. Using the XJ main will allow you to lower it some, shorten up that long shackle and if you get the spring rate right, improve the ride quality.

pikapp504
03-05-2012, 02:01 PM
It's not that the shorter shackles won't line up...it's the fact that they may swing into the shackle relocation brackets.

I made the mistake of trying to do this lift on a budget and not spend the $$$ up front (had I done that in the first place, I wouldn't be in this situation). Now that I'm in this situation, I'm about to just say F*** it, buy some 3" leaf packs, and call it a day instead of having to pull the current bastard packs apart and attempt to piece-meal the whole thing together. LOL

4.3LXJ
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
The thing about bastard packs is that you never do them just once. They take some experimentation to get them the way you want them. But one thing for sure is that you need to use a main leaf that is the right size, that is the original.

pikapp504
03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to say screw it and just raise the front up 2" w/ a spacer and adjustable LCA's. I'm done trying to "nickel and dime" my way to a decent setup...so I just said screw it and bought what I needed to level the front w/ the rear.

prerunner1982
03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Let us know how that goes...

pikapp504
03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Will do! This 3" lift is about to turn into a 5.5-6" lift...LOL

ScottJD96
03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to say screw it and just raise the front up 2" w/ a spacer and adjustable LCA's. I'm done trying to "nickel and dime" my way to a decent setup...so I just said screw it and bought what I needed to level the front w/ the rear.

Be carefull because " Nickel n Dime " usually turns into I should have spent the money and got what I really wanted it would have been cheeper. Those shackles look scarey ar you going to offroad this?

pikapp504
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I have swapped out the shackles for the stock shackles in the rear most hole in the relocation bracket. Soooooo much better! Shackle angle is right at ~65*, it doesn't ride like a dump truck, and it compliments my 3-3.5" front RC springs pretty nicely. I'm going to raise the front another 2" (~1.75 with the spacers) and it should be pretty much perfect. The only thing I need to upgrade now are my shocks. I'm currently running the shocks that come with the RC 3" kit (the white shocks) and they're maxed out in the rear at full droop.

XJ4IV
03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
The best solution really is to use a standard bastard pack. Use the XJ main and put others, like the van leaves under it. I can tell from your pic that you have far to much spring under there. It will ride like a tank. Using the XJ main will allow you to lower it some, shorten up that long shackle and if you get the spring rate right, improve the ride quality.

agreed... if you still have your XJ main leaf with the eyelets and bushings I say use the same pack and remove the add a leaf and cut the eyes of the van leaf and change your shackle back to a more agreed angle! I do however like the idea of the ram van springs I NEVER thought about that... Im about to build me another bastard pack cause I need about two more inches of lift to clear my 37's... thinking perhaps swapping in the two longer leaves from the ram van and removing one of my dakota leafs
see what that will give me

pikapp504
03-13-2012, 07:12 AM
My XJ main leaves were worn out, so I couldn't use them. With the stock shackle in the rear most hole, it rides like stock...no joke. Pinion angle is pretty much perfect (no need for a degree shim...no vibes w/ the HnT), shackle angle is pretty much ideal, and it rides great. As far as spring length w/ the Ram van springs, that's the reason I went with them (or rather, was told to go with them). They are 23" from the front eye to the center pin (same as stock) and 31" from center pin to rear eye (2" longer than stock). Sure, I probably could've used another XJ leaf instead of the ram van 2nd leaf, but I'm very happy with how it rides and sits right now. It's SLIGHTLY higher in the rear currently (only a RC 3" lift spring in the front....for now), but once I install my 1.75" spacer, lca's and get the front tracbar readjusted and aligned, I should be sitting at ~5" of lift total.