PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start....whyyyyyyyyyyyyy - XJ Starting Problems

bmsmalley
03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
OK, I have a 94 XJ with 4.0L. All stock (for now :rolleye0012:) anyway, it went from starting just fine to being a bear to start. It just spins over and over and over and over. I have to hold the and pump the pedal like hell and then MAYBE it will start. What could be going on here. I have done nothing mechanical to anything. PLEASE HELP if you can.

Mudderoy
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
OK, I have a 94 XJ with 4.0L. All stock (for now :rolleye0012:) anyway, it went from starting just fine to being a bear to start. It just spins over and over and over and over. I have to hold the and pump the pedal like hell and then MAYBE it will start. What could be going on here. I have done nothing mechanical to anything. PLEASE HELP if you can.

Have you ever changed the CPS? Can you check the fuel pressure? See how long the fuel pressure stays up around 40 psi with the key off.

Mine wouldn't start until the 2nd or 3rd crank. It was the fuel pressure regulator. Fortunately (NOT!) in the 97+ fuel pump, pressure regulator and filter are all together and in the fuel cell. I just replaced all three as an assembly and now it starts first try.

cantab27
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
muddys on to something...shouldn't have to touch the gas to start em....check the easy stuff first...make a list of what you have tried and we can chip in on what you may have missed...good luck and it will be something simple......tis the jeep thing

seu83
03-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Another way to check to see if it's maintaining fuel pressure in the line is turn the key to on but don't start, wait about 5 seconds and shut it off. Do this two more times and on the last time try to start it instead of shutting it off. If it fires right up it's your check valve in the tank.

bmsmalley
03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys I will try that this evening when I get home but, I think mine is a carburetor...not sure...sounds like something I should KNOW FOR SURE THO. Anyway I will look. When it does start tho it boogs down until it warms up then its a non issue.

Go and check it out on my facebook page i created for its progress. search "my green jeep" and like it. no laughing plz...oh what the hell...you can laugh....lol

xj4life2
03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a fuel pressure reg. or the fuel pump itself, it may be starving for fuel at first and then as it builds pressure it ok. Check your fuel pressure, you have a shrader valve on the fuel rail. Just get a F.P. guage and check it out !!

PS you are Fuel Injected (no carb)

pvt.tadpolxj
03-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I would try a new ignition coil!.....Get back to me about this...:rolleye0012: