PDA

View Full Version : Junk yard lift? Or paid lift

byrinxx74
03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Ok so i wanted to get some opinion on if i should go with a junkyard lift to get like 4.5 inch lift or just spend like 800 for a name brand lift? What yall think

Mudderoy
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Ok so i wanted to get some opinion on if i should go with a junkyard lift to get like 4.5 inch lift or just spend like 800 for a name brand lift? What yall think

I really like my Rough Country 4.5" lift, but I would have saved some time and money by getting the RC 4.5" coils, the RC 4.5" leaf springs, and then getting a set of adjustable upper and lower Ironman4x4fab.com control arms.

Since I bent the heavy duty RC adjustable track bar, I might have to go a different direction. Ironman4x4fab also has an adjustable track bar.

Of course I believe RC now has a lift kit that has adjustable arms. I just don't think they are as heavy duty as Ironman4x4fabs stuff.

4.3LXJ
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
It is possible to get 4.5" from the junk yard. But honestly, you will be much happier with a kit that is designed for that purpose. Instead of looking for price, look for the little things included like brake lines, longer shocks, at least two of the front links adjustable, as heavy a track bar as possible. Like Muddy said, when you go cheap, you end up redoing stuff and don't save in the long run. You may spend more

Kenny811
03-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I say if you have the $$ get good new stuff, you will be much happier in the long run. I just installed a complete 6.5 rustys on my 93 build. Its a good feeling to know everything is new. My .02.

bluedragon436
03-02-2012, 10:31 AM
I pieced mine together, but all parts are lift parts for the XJ, and although it works quite well, it takes time to find the deals and you are always taking the chance of getting someone else's junk.. I would say save a bit more and pick you up a good kit through a company.. we have some good vendors on here you can get good deals through on kits..

Kenny811
03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
I pieced mine together, but all parts are lift parts for the XJ, and although it works quite well, it takes time to find the deals and you are always taking the chance of getting someone else's junk.. I would say save a bit more and pick you up a good kit through a company.. we have some good vendors on here you can get good deals through on kits..

I agree with that, you can build a pretty nice lift out of parts, but you better know what your doing and were the parts come from. Cheaper this way but you might be putting on & taking parts off until you find that sweet spot.

bigjim350
03-04-2012, 11:25 PM
I went with a "kit". Glad i went that route. But with any kit you will find weak points. For most any lift kit will be just fine. But when you start wheeling pretty hard you will quickly find what needs upgrading.

07Negative
03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I would also suggest a kit b/c it's specific to the vehicle. A 4.5" short arm kit rides like shit. 4.5" and more I'd highly recommend a long arm setup. I did a complete Rusty's lift with leaf pack (not a add a leaf). It's a good kit. I dislike their shocks and their leaf packs. I recently went with Clayton Offroad leaf pack. They practice the modo of more and thinner leafs like Deaver, just not as many leaf springs nor as expensive.
Kits tend to be a touch cheaper, but I think by piecing a kit together. You can pick and choose the best items for your preference. Some kits are also complete with adjustable track bar and all. I think that's cool b/c then it helps out cats that might not know better and set them up for a better experience or results of lifting. But I suppose it also depends on what your intentions are.
I say think it through and think long term so your not buying twice like I've done 4 times. Waste of money, time, and head aches of doing lifts (assuming your doing the work).
If you or a caring friend had fab skills. Steve does 2 really cool write ups. One one a long arm kit and the other on a track bar (I thought I read one on the track bar). If I were to do things again. I'd fab up a Long arm kit b/c companies charge so frickin much!

byrinxx74
03-06-2012, 10:25 PM
So i went with a bastard pack in the rear and Rubicon 3.5 inch lift in front with Rusty adjustable track bar, also rc adjustable lower control arms, and tc drop kit!! I also got some 31 bfg's with 80% life on them, all to geather total cost.... was 320 dollars, the ride is about 4inch all together maybe a little higher, do not know how it will wheel until this weekend, though i do have a build thread with all pics of everything i did!!

mudslut
12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
go big