Thread: Coolant Capacity

Default Coolant Capacity

Can someone verify the coolant capacity fo the 4.0? My Haynes book says 12.5 quarts. Yesterday when I was filling it up with Engine Ice I could only get 6 quarts in. One of two things could have happened 1 I did not drain it all the way or it could be air locked.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

Default Re: Coolant Capacity

did you get all the water out of the block ? i bet thats were the extra water is and im asking but im not sure how to tell you how to get it out if you didnt i have some ideas but they involve a bfh and a freeze plug so not the best way to do it
    i know my spelling and grammer are bad but dont worry its not getting any better

Default Re: Coolant Capacity

I saw in the book after the fact that there is a block drain on the exhaust side. You are probably right about the water. After I flushed the system I undid the upper radiator hose and ran the engine until no water was coming out just steam.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed