Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Cable Upgrade

cpttuna is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: Battery Cable Upgrade

I don't know if I understand your question. the harness covers both high and low beams.

k u answered mine. to clarify 83-87 i think came with the option of single head lights ( 2 total ) or dual head lights ( or squads ). hope this helps

there are different harness configurations out on the market depending on what style headlights you have. I am speaking only about the single headlight configuration. that's why the harness fits both my cherokee and my 78 bronco.

If you make your own cables, you have the option of what guage and length you want your cables to be. I decided to purchase mine. I did buy them longer than stock .

bad luck is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I made up my cables. I know a lot of people like to use welding cable, but I don't. It isn't as gas and oil resistant, as normal battery cable. Though it is more flexible. It may be overkill but I used 1/0 gauge. On the positive and negative sides. I still have to upgrade my headlight harness too. I have the relays and all the wire and parts I need, I just need to find the time. Also I very seldom drive after dark. But you never know when I might have to. And my cables are crimped, not soldered.
    Last edited by bad luck; 07-07-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Just so you know, welding cable is double sheathed and about triple resistant to oils and fluids then battery cable is. That is what makes it so nice. Plus, it is fine copper wire, which carries current better and less prone to stress breaks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

bad luck is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Fine strands of wire do not carry more current than thicker ones. For example 12 AWG is either 7 strand or 24 strand (machine tool wire), and both are rated at 20 amps. Current traveling on the surface of the wire is called "skin effect" and is proportional to the frequency of an alternating current, it has no effect with our 12vdc systems. And for your claim that welding cable is about 3 times more resistant to oil I can refer you to an actual test. Go to the wagon way.com website, and search for an article called Battery Cables. They tested welding cable vs battery cable and the results show that the most common insulation on welding cable (EPDM) is much less resistant to oil than pvc. Granted welding cable is more flexible and that is important for welding, but not for hooking up a battery. And fine strands of wire will corrode quicker unless you solder or use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. Which you should always do anyway. The abyc standards for boats do not allow welding cable to be used for batteries, and boats are a lot tougher environment than our jeeps. If you want to get the best cables, get tinned marine cable it is more expensive but very flexible also.
    Last edited by Mudderoy; 07-08-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Removed first sentence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12