Thread: 01 Sport AW4 trans problem maybe solenoids?

Default 01 Sport AW4 trans problem maybe solenoids?

So i was in bumper to bumper traffic one day when it was really hot out and for the first time ever my trans started slipping like wen i would try to pull forward it would just rev up and not move like it was in neutral and then grab all a sudden then wen i started moving it shifted real hard into 2nd i think but after that it was fine for days untill one day i was driving it for awhile home from work on the highway and it started to like stumble wen i hit a big hill up an off ramp then the MIL came on so i stopped off and scanned it and it was the P0753 code shift solenoid A circuit so anyway im assuming that it only happens wen its hot and the solenoid is overheating so im going to replace the 3 solenoids and hope that fixes the problem am i doing the right thing by assuming this or can somebody point me in another direction? Any advice is appreciated thanks
    O and one more thing it might be going in and out of OD and im not sure if i can feel the TC locking up and unlocking like i use to be able to feel it when i would slow down and come to a stop at a light or whatever

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

Default Re: 01 Sport AW4 trans problem maybe solenoids?

What's the fluid look like, red or brown (or black)...is it at the correct level? The trans has a hard time if it gets overheated and the fluid gets burnt. If the fluid is not the correct fluid (Dex/Merc) or not at the correct level, the trans can't do it's job. The fluid is not just lubricant, it's also hydraulic fluid. Makes the valve bodies go up and down, makes the torque converter work.

When is the last time you serviced it (changed fluid, filter etc.)

Changing the solenoids will likely help it out, but can be pricey. The CEL sounds like that the solenoids are having trouble working...but could be as easy as a fluid service. Your AW4 should last almost forever if properly maintained.
    1. 1990 XJ Laredo AW4-4.0L-NP231 D35/D30-OPEN cooling-3.5 full pack-etc.-etc.
    #2. 1988 MJ Pioneer AW4-4.0L-NP231J-D30/D44 LSD - OPEN cooling - 3" lift - 31's

Like your freedom? Thank a Vet.