Installing Detours A~Pillar Light Brackets~ - Page 2 - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
JeepACornForum.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > Technical "HOW TO" Articles

Notices

Technical "HOW TO" Articles How to stuff. If you are doing it chances are good someone else would like to know how! Get your camera and snap some pictures during that repair or upgrade!

Old 03-29-2012
Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
Tim's Information

Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chats: 16
dagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant future
windows_98_nt_2000safari
View dagr8tim's Twitter Profile
Default Re: Installing Detours A~Pillar Light Brackets~

I'm having a problem with my installation and I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. Here's a mock up.

It's my understanding that the rubber isolaters are supposed to go one on top and one on bottom of the bracket, correct?

There's not enough space under the bracket to fit the isolater. Am I installing the lights on the brackets wrong?

Founding member of the White Jeep Mafia.
Old 03-29-2012
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Thanked 5,086 Times in 3,195 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Chats: 24582
Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
View Mudderoy's Twitter Profile

I see the problem now. you'll have to trim one so it will fit above and below the bracket
Old 03-29-2012
Tim's Information

dagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant future
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
I see the problem now. you'll have to trim one so it will fit above and below the bracket
The above doesn't look like it'd be a problem. It's the below.

Old 03-29-2012
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
The above doesn't look like it'd be a problem. It's the below.
You have the two rubber metal pieces together, they need to be on each side of the bracket.

One will have to be trimmed so it will fit where the nut is. Make sense?
Old 03-29-2012
Tim's Information

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
You have the two rubber metal pieces together, they need to be on each side of the bracket.

One will have to be trimmed so it will fit where the nut is. Make sense?
That's what I assumed. I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right before I started hacking on things.

Old 03-29-2012
Jon's Information

Thanked 1,579 Times in 783 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 15738
prerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Tim, I see what you are getting at and I agree, I do not see why the top rubber would need to be trimmed, only the bottom on to clear the bracket.

If you do a search for Jeep Cherokee A Pillar Light mounts you will see that most everyone uses slim light types with a bolt and bracket at the bottom rather than the big lights with the rubber isolators and I think you found out why...

Red Dirt Jeeps

Old 03-29-2012
Tim's Information

windows_98_nt_2000safari

No big deal. I just wanted to check before I screwed something up.

I may put the KC's on my bumper and put the cheap HF lights that are on the bumper on the A Pillars because they won't require any trimming.

Old 03-29-2012
Jeeper X
Jake's Information

Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,887 Posts
Chats: 1150
XJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
linuxsafari

I say forget the bottom isolator, its not gonna be much good once you trim it that much anyway. Just go with a flat washer with maybe a rubber washer if you want it to have some give.

My build - http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11360

<><
Old 03-29-2012
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Tim, I see what you are getting at and I agree, I do not see why the top rubber would need to be trimmed, only the bottom on to clear the bracket.

If you do a search for Jeep Cherokee A Pillar Light mounts you will see that most everyone uses slim light types with a bolt and bracket at the bottom rather than the big lights with the rubber isolators and I think you found out why...
I have two sets of KC lights. One is long range the other is flood. They are both full sized (I don't see the sense in the thin ones) so all four had isolators. I believe they are there to help protect the bulb from vibrations. At least that was my assumption. I was thinking all the KC's had those hard rubber rings.
Old 03-29-2012
Jon's Information

Thanked 1,579 Times in 783 Posts
Chats: 15738
prerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

My long range Pro-comp lights have them as well.. and I agree on protection from vibration.

Red Dirt Jeeps

Old 03-29-2012
Patrick's Information

Groans: 11
Chats: 5526
prcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant futureprcjeep has a brilliant future
Garage
windows_xp_2003ie
View prcjeep's Twitter Profile

I mounted kc slim lights on mine. They didn't have the rubber isolators. I havent noticed any vibration issues or other performance issues with them. I think if you wanted those ones on the barcket it would be okay without the bottom isolator.
Old 04-06-2012
Level: Jeep Commander
Brian's Information

Chats: 0
xj98 has a spectacular aura aboutxj98 has a spectacular aura about
windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcjeep View Post
I mounted kc slim lights on mine. They didn't have the rubber isolators. I havent noticed any vibration issues or other performance issues with them. I think if you wanted those ones on the barcket it would be okay without the bottom isolator.
X2
I have 2 6" KC lights on my bumper. I lost the bottom isolaters so I just bolted them to the bumper with out the bottoms. They have been on for a 2 year now and haven't had any problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to xj98 For This Useful Post:
Mudderoy (04-07-2012)